Just moved to florida - first post

Damien121812

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. I just moved here from the outerbanks. I have been detecting and diving for over 30 years. Had my own salvage vessal for several years, and also worked on many others. I have a master 100 ton license with endorsments. At this point in the game I prefer to hunt on land(knee and hip problems can't take the seas much longer)
I live in Vero Beach now, and have noticed these beaches are not like the bank shoreline - FAR FROM IT. I know about the 1715 fleet, and have seen many artifacts displayed along the highway, and at local parks. I also have done my research, and detected a few times upon arrival. Lot's of junk and trash left on these beaches by people. What a shame. The sand here is nothing like the sand where I am from.
The wife and I went to Ft. Pierce inlet (what a calm inlet - I was in shock and awhhh when I seen it) last week for thefirst time. She was rough on the outside, but the inlet was calm. Sebastian inlet looked a little rough, but nothing compared to N.C. The sand at at Ft. Pierce stuck to our feet. What's the deal with that? Never had that happen before.
No high dunes in the area at all.
My question is - does the water ever hit the tiny dunes here without the help of a hurricane or storm surge from one offshore?

Upvote 0

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to FL and we just celebrated our 1 year anniversary as Floridians too.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net! Haven't lived in Fla. since 1975 not familiar with the lay of the land now. There are some Florida dwellers on here that can help you out on that. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida local here actually a Treasure Coast resident.
When you say you went to the jetty it will matter whether you went to the North or the South Side the south side is completely covered with replenishment sand dredged from offshore that stuff is junk it will stick to your feet like mud.. Pretty much the entire area from Sebastian Inlet south of Fort Pierce has been covered with replenishment sand at one point some places very recently.
Our natural Beach is a yellowish broken shell type of sand

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sticks to your feet cause of the parrot poop