Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing that it was that easy to find the owner. I once found a class ring, I called the school and gave them the year and the initials, and they absolutely refused to even try to help. I had to go to a library ( not in my home town ) and find the yearbook, then get out a phone book, and start making calls. Took about 3 hrs on the phone to track the owner down. He was thrilled at first that I had found it, but lost interest when I asked him to come to me to pick it up. It was about a half hour ride! I ended up mailing it to him, paid for it to go registered and insured, and never heard from him again...not even a thank you.
That's the only one I ever found. If I find another, I will still try to find the owner, but will not go so far out of my way to do it this time...

Had that happen too with high schools and colleges - specially high schools - they are afraid your going to try and scam a student out of money or something
I had problem with one college when I dealt with the deans office - I waited a year and then decided to go back to its web site and I wrote every dept.
the school news dept. contacted me and thought it'd make a great story and they helped make the return ---I should have mentioned this before - but that might be the
better way to go - contact the schools news or newspaper staff - most have one .

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I returned a class ring in 1984, the guy came to my apartment, called first. I opened the door with the ring in my open right hand. He grabbed the ring, said "I thought I lost it", and left - and did not thank me.

I'm still trying to return that State Championship High School football ring I found several weeks ago. Was to meet him half way, and waited there two hours and he didn't show up. He apologized a few days later but gave no excuse. Now he's gotta come to me, and he's flaked out on that too.

Looks like I own a ring. Just who are the kids today?

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first 2 returns were were wedding rings and involved lots of screaming, crying, hugging, and trying to figure out something I would take as a reward. I finally told them if they felt that they absolutely HAD to do something, then donate to their favorite dog charity.

That's a feeling of satisfaction that I crave now.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned a class ring in 1984, the guy came to my apartment, called first. I opened the door with the ring in my open right hand. He grabbed the ring, said "I thought I lost it", and left - and did not thank me.

I'm still trying to return that State Championship High School football ring I found several weeks ago. Was to meet him half way, and waited there two hours and he didn't show up. He apologized a few days later but gave no excuse. Now he's gotta come to me, and he's flaked out on that too.

Looks like I own a ring. Just who are the kids today?

Young people today no longer develop social skills by meeting people in person and communicating face to face. They can be standing next to each other texting each other.

They probably don't know how to introduce themselves to a stranger in a situation like yours and express their personal thanks so being socially awkward he grabs the ring and runs.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid for mine in high school with my hard earned money - might have even sold detecting finds to pay for it
- lot of kids now a days - mommy and daddy paid for - so no skin off their nose

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Same thing with my honorable mention class ring return. The kid calls me back and says my parents are harping on me to pick this ring up so where can we meet. I did get a lack luster thank you!

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was with Jim when he found the '69 Manhattan class ring. I don't know how I missed it in the last 7 years I have detected the same area. And to have the ring found within feet of where it was lost...Jim is tenacious when he sets his mind to accomplishing a task. I look forward to each morning we get out to detect. Then of course the ritualistic cup of coffee after the morning's hunt. This was Jim's second ring return this summer. I remember the first hunt we went on, he mentioned he had never found a class ring. Well that morning he found his first, and I then told him his task was to find the owner and return it and he did! He also traveled from CA to NY to return one ring. His other hobbies include collections of watched, knives, helping others and is a backer of a prosthetic leg apparatus and a Cajun chowder. He is really a man of many great accomplishments. I can't wait for his return next summer.

The Book of Kehls by Christine Kehl O'Hagan is highly recommended for everyone to read, especially if you know of anyone with DMD.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I watched a ring return where a guy had found an old class ring and tracked down the owner. Owner shows up, says "Oh yeah, when I lost back then, I just went and bought another one" (which he was wearing). Seeming completely unexcited he tried to slip the old one on his finger, and it didn't fit. He just kinda nodded with a sort of an unenthusiastic thanks and walked away with the ring. Probably right to the jewelry store to melt it down hah.

Wedding rings on the other hand always seem to have a good result.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am surprised at some of the reactions when returning some rings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread