Just starting MD, Best way to get started

coachwig

Jul 20, 2013
Groveland Florida
Detector(s) used
Do not have one at this time.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, my name is Tim and I just recently moved to central Florida. I have though a lot about starting metal detecting as a new hobby. Could anyone give me some information on getting started, such as type of MD to buy, any other equiltment that I need to buy as I start out. Also, I would appreciate any help that could be provided as for areas that could be MD in the Leesburg Florida area.

Thank You:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tim...my name is Tim...Welcome to Tim net, I mean Tnet...You should tell us what type of targets you want to hunt for...coins, rings, battlefield relics, nuggets, buried caches? Also where do you want to hunt...fresh water, salt water, beaches, parks, woods, ghost towns, battle sites, etc...How much do want to spend? Considering these things before hand will give you a better chance of not buying the wrong detector.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.
Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, Tim!

There are a lot of options to consider on equipment depending on where you wish to hunt and what targets you desire.

We have a "getting started" tips page on our website:

Metal Detecting Stuff - New to the Hobby

Post your thoughts here and you will find out " who likes Fords and who likes Chevys".

Wayne

ironman

Aug 16, 2012
The Woodlands,Texas
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome coachwig
sand scoop is a must for the beach
leash digger for the ground and sod
pin pointer
pouch for the goods
and the junk an
a white's detector

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snuck that whites in.lol..All you need is a detector,digging tool, pouch, this forum, and time to learn..a pin pointer is really nice to have also. HH

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
welcome coachwig
sand scoop is a must for the beach
leash digger for the ground and sod
pin pointer
pouch for the goods
and the junk an
a white's detector
I forgot about those Whites detector's they are made by First texas ... So check them out.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
To start out metal detecting is as easy as anything you ever did............. When i started years ago i got a Kellyco catalog picked out a detector with that detector they sent me a digger a pouch to hold my finds in.... every thing i needed............... I took that detector out and would swing it back and forth it would beep and i would dig and find my prize ...... It can not get any more simple than that.................So go to it it is not hard.............. some would like to make you think it is like brain surgery but it is not any one can do it even children..............And if you are lucky you will find something good..........

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pretty straight forward to start out in the hobby, but one thing I wish I had when I started was a pin pointer. Those things will save you a lot of time. Whether it be a simple bounty hunter pin pointer or the pro pointer I think they are a must if you want a fast recovery time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread