Just thought I would share.

hookedonhunts

Apr 5, 2006
Illinois
Just thought I'd ask, did you use a detector or just your eyes to see it? Was it buried deep or on top? Can you post a pic?
HookedOnHunts
LeAnn

OP
OP
S

Sphinx

To answer your question, yes we used detectors, I was with 2 other life long friends of mine. I used an explorer2 and my friends have a Whites Prizm V Detectors. My friend found it and dug it up, he literally threw up when he seen what it was. It was about 5-6 inches under some small gavel and sand on the downstream side of a big rock/boulder. You will defiantly need a quad or some kind of all terrain vehicle to get to that spot. Its a dried up stream in the summer and is wet in the winter, if you look at the google map and zoom out, you can see the way the water flows and where it collects. I figured everything collects at the mouth of a moving body of water, thats the best place to start since the current slows down tremendously at the mouth, letting the gold settle. Plus if you look at the map and zoom out, 3 streams come together right before the mouth, its a prime spot to look for gold. We started at the mouth and detected about 1/2 to 3/4 a mile up the stream before he found it. After he found it we started to hunt more aggressively in the immediate area but only found some small flakes the size of bread crumbs, nothing worth bragging about. My friend has it on display on his mantel over his fireplace so the next time I go over there I will most definitely take pictures of it.

Im going back sometime after summer to look again for a few days, gonna camp out, if your close by or in the area around September hit me up and I will be more then happy to team up and have a look see.

OP
OP
S

Sphinx

Southernhunter said:
Friend, your screenshot has the coordinates on it....... :-\

Yes, I wasnt trying to hide its location, you can just click on the file below it and it will take you to it on google.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the location it looks like you might have stumbled upon some of Peglegs gold. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
S

Sphinx

You know, my friend mention something like that a while back about Pegleg. Then I read a post about Pegleg in the "Treasure Legends" area the other day. And it started to make me wonder, But I try not to believe legends and tale because most of the time the tale gets twisted somewhat from being told over the generations. From what the legend says they were encrusted with black soot or of something the like. The ones we found were not. We did not see anything black on the ground and no high flat top areas. It was all hills and mountains. Its been about five years since I been there, this fall Im gonna go back for a few days and going a little more upstream.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sphinx said:
From what the legend says they were encrusted with black soot or of something the like. The ones we found were not. We did not see anything black on the ground and no high flat top areas. It was all hills and mountains.

If the nuggets are coming out of the nearby hills and down the alluvials of the mountains.

The action of thier movement during rains and flash floods may have kept them clean or has knocked off any coating. Maybe the one your friend found had not laid on the surface long enough.

Personally, I have prospected and detected nuggets in the desert for years now and I have never seen a black encrusted nugget.

Matrix on some yes, but never coated.

I am not saying they don't exist. I'm just saying I have never seen one.

OP
OP
S

Sphinx

It would have been nice to stumble on peglegs gold, but I'm gonna stay skeptical on this one and just call it luck. I'm the kind of person that needs physical proof that a legend is real other than word of mouth or a written article. So until I find an actual peg leg or something, its just luck to me.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Out of curiosity, how large is a 3.71 oz. nugget? I need to visualize... Thanks - Noodle

OP
OP
S

Sphinx

3.jpg

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you etch it, or did you find it like that? That's a pretty chunk of gold :o

May 28, 2007
cottonwood ca
that is really awesome, great find never seen anything like it's formation i hope to someday find something like that isaw the other day people were finding lots of gold mixed in with quartz cool well great to see that mding is paying off

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one nice chunk of gold you have there!!! Now if only I was that lucky. Or at least knew somewhere close to where I live.

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe
Being that detailed with very little rounding from traveling down the creek bottom wouldn't that indicate the source is very near the discovery area? Nice piece!

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
I would have to say no, he was mistaken about the location and typed the wrong coordinates and the map looked right but he was just off a few miles...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread