Kansas, Missouri Dig

tiggerd100

Jun 19, 2013
Well temperatures will start getting a little cooler around here soon and it’s been on my mind a lot lately about going and digging up some artifacts close to home. I’ve never had a spot to do this and I really hope that changes soon. Any advice on finding/ getting permission on a dig site? Any one want to get together and dig some up? I’m all up for the dirty work and helping out.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should start out by getting permission to search some worked/open ground. First of all gain the trust in the landowner, and then if you surmise that there is a possibility of doing some digging, first of all get permission to do any digging. Good Luck, but don't forget to respect the landowner, otherwise you will spoil your and others from hunting the property.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's easy to get permission to dig. Just tell them you will give them any artifacts that you find. Isn't that what the whole thing hinges on? As a landowner, I'd never give anyone permission to dig artifacts on my land and take them home. Buy your own land to dig! Gary

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
In contrast to an earlier posted opinion, I am a land owner as well as having several family members that own hundreds of acres of land, much of which contain rock shelters that were used by Native Americans. We have dug until were are blue in the face, we will never get them all. As a whole, neither me nor my family will say no to anyone that wants to dig. I invite folks to dig as well. We NEVER ask for the artifacts in return. Trust me, if you find one here, you've earned it. We do however like to hear the particulars of the dig and to see what's been found but that's not a requirement either.

My Grandfather had some Native American genetics in his bloodline, he taught us that the artifacts belong to everyone and should be shared, enjoyed by all. It's a great feeling contributing to someone's success in this hobby.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In contrast to an earlier posted opinion, I am a land owner as well as having several family members that own hundreds of acres of land, much of which contain rock shelters that were used by Native Americans. We have dug until were are blue in the face, we will never get them all. As a whole, neither me nor my family will say no to anyone that wants to dig. I invite folks to dig as well. We NEVER ask for the artifacts in return. Trust me, if you find one here, you've earned it. We do however like to hear the particulars of the dig and to see what's been found but that's not a requirement either.

My Grandfather had some Native American genetics in his bloodline, he taught us that the artifacts belong to everyone and should be shared, enjoyed by all. It's a great feeling contributing to someone's success in this hobby.

Wish more people embraced your ideology - thanks for sharing!

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes a lot of leg work research and plenty of luck to obtain permission . When you ask to dig the red lights come on I rehab all the ground I work by replanting with native grasses and wild flowers and never leave an open hole ! you don't want the land owners to fall in a hole . I have camps on my property waiting for me . I do let a few select people metal detect the old gold camps but the native American sites are off limits except to family but everyone is required to show their finds .

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You people are more then free to dig at my farm here in Ohio at a cave, and the rocky ledges around it, overlooks the Ohio river. And there are mounds between the two. Just take your trash with you when you leave......but digging is hard work. And not for the weak at heart or body. I will be impressed at your archeological skills to discover what is there. I'm busy right now so you can have at it.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
You people are more then free to dig at my farm here in Ohio at a cave, and the rocky ledges around it, overlooks the Ohio river. And there are mounds between the two. Just take your trash with you when you leave......but digging is hard work. And not for the weak at heart or body. I will be impressed at your archeological skills to discover what is there. I'm busy right now so you can have at it.

Pretty damn nice offer! Most of us old farts have seen what you've unearthed over the past few years...wow.

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my local GIS mapping software to locate properties, and to get their names. I simply call them up, and ask. I have only been told no twice.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily not all people have that....give me what you find attitude...as a matter of fact I've never had anybody want my finds... Sure the hell ain't out there digging for kicks...mjm

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the more I think about this response...buy your own land Gary...maybe Gary can't afford land to dig artifacts on like most of us...great advice..mjm

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug plenty with Dr. Gramly. Gramly never had any problem getting permission to dig because the landowners always retained possession of the artifacts. Although most all archaeologists say they are only after information, they none the less won't dig unless they can keep what they dig. Ask any of them. Gramly truly is only after information and records all finds with photographs or casts if it's an important find. Then the items go back to the landowner.

It's great the forum members are offering a chance for triggerd to dig. He should take them up on the offer. It would save time and frustration trying to find a place to dig locally. Here's why. Knocking on doors might get you one permission out of 10 stops. The problem is, just any farm won't due. If you want to dig, you have to find a site first. You can just dig willy nilly. So now you have to identify 10 sites, not just 10 farms, and find the landowners and ask. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I believe the cards are stacked against you. Landowners around me, including myself, are so wary of anyone asking permission for anything because we've all been abused by people from the city that have no respect for private property. You need a friend or relative with a site or save your money and take a vacation to one of the TNet members who offered their land to dig. Good Luck. Gary

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug 3 rock shelters on the Cumberland Plateau down 3-4 feet two weeks ago. Found a charcoal line in each but thinks it was a forest fire layer. Found flakes and brokes only. Sifted some but have a new digger for gold mining and it was so good I quit sifting and just used it.
These shelters I have been wanting to dig for years but they did not pan out. I have about 30 more located for the future.Trick with digging is being in the right spot and it can be golden. I love digging artifacts. I lease a lot of land and my leases include all archeological rights from the land owner.
in your area they find them in ditches and small creeks that cut through the fields and mountains. Lots of Youtube videos of guys hunting your area.
Good luck!

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located generally? Are you looking for CW stuff or just anything? Do research. Start with friends or people who know you or your family members. Just today my brother and I were on land where a CW camp was once. Before the guy,who knew my brother from church, let us in the field, he mentioned an old abandoned school nearby and since he is one of the commissioners, said we were welcome to try our luck there also. Cannot wait!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread