Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the last 5 weeks since I started CRHing again it was like it was back in the mid 60's, I was getting silver everywhere. In this span I have found more 40%, dimes, quarters than I have in all the years since I started in CRH. If I ignore the two solid rolls of Walkers back in 2010 I am at 9 90% vs 4 90% lifetime.

I just had the feeling I was going to find silver, something was pulling me to different banks. Now suddenly over the last 200 CWR of dimes and 100 of quarters and two skunk boxes of halves I feel like the force has left me.

I know it sounds defeatist but after the two rolls of Walkers I couldn't find a penny on the ground let alone silver. However I won't give up, I have 4 boxes of halves coming this next week and 2 more the following week and will try to talk to the manager at the bank re a bag but that didn't help at a credit union, the VP said a big NO to bags.

Also it seems that 1 out of 5 boxes of dimes are solid 2017's

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Get back to me when you're hitting 20 box skunk streaks. 2 is normal. At times, 10 is normal.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
ROFL, yes I realize that it is just I was on such a roll that it seems awful to get a single skunk!

however let's talk CWR and BWR Quarters, so far with over 300 rolls only 1 silver quarter!

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are two established facts about coin roll hunting for silver:
1. You will find silver. But, more often, you will not find silver.
2. You will find the least amount of silver in quarters.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are two established facts about coin roll hunting for silver:
1. You will find silver. But, more often, you will not find silver.
2. You will find the least amount of silver in quarters.

I will bet the quarter thing is that they are more noticeable

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben: it seems that you are shooting tooooo high with the expectations of finding a ton of silver in every box, and now that you are in a skunk slump you are giving up hope. There are Half $ guys out there on 20-25-30+ skunk boxes in a row, and yet continue. So don't give up. I too hit skunk boxes on Dimes but still hang in there. Only twice this year have I hit super boxes in dimes, and yet my avg per box is under two.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got back from the bank, asked for CWR they didn't understand and brought out MWR, took them anyway, nothing.

I think I was trying to make the point that over the last month I KNEW I was going to find silver, not that feeling (force) is gone and it feels like when I used to CRH around 2008-2010, I am not going to give up buy may not be a fanatic, probably only do a box of dimes a week and a couple boxes of halves. get rolls when I go by a bank but not drive miles out of my way to go by every one as I have been.

I keep 2k in my CRH account and am going to try to use that every week and get the boxes on Thursday and start dumping on Saturday and have it all back in the account by Thursday in time to get more..
I just finished my map of all the banks within 10 miles with coin counters, 14 of them, and the banks that will order me halves that don't have counters so I don't return coins to the banks I get them. I have 4 order banks so I hopefully will only hit each order bank once a month so they don't get tired of me.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Ben: it seems that you are shooting tooooo high with the expectations of finding a ton of silver in every box, and now that you are in a skunk slump you are giving up hope. There are Half $ guys out there on 20-25-30+ skunk boxes in a row, and yet continue. So don't give up. I too hit skunk boxes on Dimes but still hang in there. Only twice this year have I hit super boxes in dimes, and yet my avg per box is under two.

Wow ain't this the truth. Boxes after boxes are skunk, then I get a pile of silver out of a few then again more boxes of nothing. But this is my hobby and every week I plug along with another 2 boxes cause it is a HOBBY! Not a job so I'm happy when silver hits my hands. Always keep plugging away and enjoy the siver when you get some.....

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Went up to the grocery store to get some ice cream, stopped at the bank in the store, no halves but got two CWR of dimes

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my time on this forum as well as my own experience tells me that searching boxes for silver halves is very streaky. I tossed my stats long ago, but I have little doubt that I averaged over 1, but less than 2 silvers per box. With that, I remember for sure that over 75% of my boxes were skunks. Also, over 90% of my boxes that contained silver held only 1 lonely 40%er. It was that that rare, occasional box that held 10+ that made the difference and kept me going. I remember not getting skunked once for 3 months or so only to be followed by 6+ months of nothing but skunks.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ben, when you say you asked for cwr and you said they didn't understand, did you literally ask by the initials, or did you say customer wrapped rolls? If the latter, I can understand the confusion. That abbreviation is only used on the forum.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I ask for "customer wrapped rolls of coins" usually they understand, often they want to give me the wrappers, I then say the ones that customers turned in and have coins in them. This was the first time I couldn't get the guy to understand. Wouldn't hurt to have a picture of them on my cell phone to show what I am talking about...

Wait I do! I have never deleted this shot, my score of a solid '64-'69 roll, just what it said on the roll

IMG_20171118_111113332 resize.jpg

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I took everyone's advice did not give up went to a new bank around the corner from the bank that used to sell me bags asked about buying off the machine and they thanked me for buying the Haves and the dimes they have had the machine for 2 years and never emptied at 1 so its not that much used $650 in have $400 in dimes now I have to go home and go through them

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Karma is smiling on me again. I went in to that bank to ask for CWR they told me to sit down for about 5-10 minutes and they would be with me and then they came over to the coin machine, I guess they thought I meant the counter bags, which I was going to ask for. They let me buy the dimes and halves and thanked me for doing it.
I found a 1947 Rosie in the dimes, so not a skunk!

I am about 2/5 of the way through the halves I am taking my time looking for double dies on every one and missing FG';s and savoring looking through them as I don't get my boxes until Thursday. I had seen a 1964 through the plastic and now after 2/5's I have found 5 1964 Kennedy's and 6 40%ers!!!! I guess I was feeling down too quickly.

I will go back next week and get the Quarters even though they don't seem to like me. So far the last 5 weeks have been better than my entire lifetime take of CRHing

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
It's "doubled" die not double Ben.

oops I am bad. Have never seen one anyway. Did find two missing F's with partial G's which is a listed variety along with the full missing FG.

Still have half the bag to go through, taking my time as I have no other coins to search until Thursday when I am getting either 2 or 4 boxes of halves, one bank was supposed to be in last week and didn't get them and expect them this Thursday and the other thought they would be in this Thursday. If I had gotten them I might not have gotten this bag.

I will go back Wed or Thurs and get the quarter bag although I have never done well with quarters.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Well as I posted in another thread I got my first bag of halves and it was a winner 22 40% and 9 90% including a Ben. The bag had been in the machine since they got it over a year ago and had $650 in it.
Maybe I should retire it can't last!

IMG_20171224_204619206_HDR a.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread