Katrina coins

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Stopped by a bank in Gulfport MS today to drop off some dimes. Asked for halfs as usual. They had $3.50 in clad. The next teller over said I have some halfs in a bag, to which my teller said "he doesn't want those, those are Katrina coins" Which meant they were nasty and covered with toxic gunk. I politely said " I'd like to see these nasty coins". Out of $5 worth (and 2 clad Ikes) I pulled one 64 Kennedy and 7 40%. The teller said" you mean you want those" I said yep they may be ugly but they are silver under this. And she said, but they are nasty. SOooooo...anyone know how to clean katrina gunk?

Upvote 0
Throw them in a tumbler with some aquarium gravel, a little water and some dish soap. After 30 minutes they'll be clean. Best part is you don't have to handle them until they are clean.

kd5txx said:
I have a tumbler for brass. would that work?

That would work.

Hey, your in box is full, so I could not send you a PM. You need to erase a few old messages. :-)

Sent today. FYI ...

Good to see some of those still floating around. I know LJ was pulling those black half dollars in by the hand fulls. I even found a few up my way. They have a disting dark grey to black appearance usually not like being through a fire. I would just get some silver polish.

Golden Silver

These have a rust orange film with some black mixed in.....covered with a powdery stain.....nasty to think I got them then ate a Subway sandwich.....

You need to keep the CRH toolkit close by! Kit includes, one pocket knife; one magnifying glass; one small trash bag; empty coin rollers, a few empty coin bags for dumping and most importantly...hand sanitizer! :icon_thumright: That will make that Subway sandwich a bit more safe to eat.

Maine_Jim

Fistfull did you even read the condition these coins are in? Cleaning the crud & grunge and filth is necessary. The coins are worth melt value only cleaned or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back