Keene 3" / 4" Ultra Dredge

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rule 1 it is not a hobby. Mining law offers no protection for a hobby you are a small scale miner. That being said welcome to TNet and the chase for the shiny stuff. There is a couple guys on here running the minis. I prefer Proline myself. Hopefully someone will chime in on the mini for you.

OP
OP
Clev

Clev

Feb 16, 2010
Polk County,NC
Hello everyone. Any of you guys or gals have a Keene 3" or 4" Ultra Mini dredge? I would love to hear the ups and downs. I am wanting to become a small scale miner and have alot of questions. lol.

It's funny that you say that okbasspro. I went to a GPAA Gold & Treasure Show last weekend in Charlotte, NC and in one of the seminar speakers was talking about that very subject. I should have known better. lol. It was my first event like that I had ever been to and learned alot. I would love to hear your pros and cons on the proline as well my man. Like I said, I am very very new to this small scale miner lifestyle and dont have my mind made up on anything yet. The main reason I am interested in Keene is because they had a vendor there and I was able to actually see the equipment. I didnt get to see or talk to anyone from proline so I know very little about their dredges... Thanks for chiming in.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keene/Proline is like Ford/Chevy ask ten people get ten different opinions. Go with what you like but educate yourself first. Ask yourself do you have a place to use it will you use it are you able to move around a big piece of equipment. A dredge is a 3-6k investment. I love to dredge but ask yourself will you stay at it or is it a short term interest. Can you pan effective it all starts and ends with a pan.keep in mind a nice sluice box is a lot cheaper and will let you see if this is for you or not before a huge purchase. You are at the right forum for learning the people here are great good luck and heavy pans.

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would love to get rid of my full size 4" keene and get a mini 4. I'm still not all that sold on the 3 stage sluice. Their best design was the old trip sluice 5". I would highly recommend a mini depending on your area your going to be working and whether or not you are packing it very far. If your on big water then get a 5" or better. For Oregon you have to neck that down to a 4" in most areas. If your working a little creek then mini 4 would be ideal. Keene or Proline? As stated above Ford vs Chevy. Proline has more power I have heard but that also comes with a higher cost. At some point you will suffer losses due to high gpm through your sluice. You have to adjust your throttle to get ideal recovery with out blowing your gold back out. I would look for an older keene tripple 5" and neck it down to a 4", that will serve you well just about anywhere you float it. You could find it for way less than the cost of a new mini 4 from either vendor.

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
I run a four inch mini. Not built as tough as the proline. You will start to have issues with the frame, etc. Also had the sluice matting start bubbling up on me the second year. Nothing that duck tape, baling wire, C clamps and some glue can't repair. I'm in a remote area and on a small creek. So the portability is nice. My advice: If your going to run hard, I'd get the proline. If not, save some bucks and get the Keene mini.

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If portability is the question they are fine. If you are new to dredging they are great.

The problem is the 4" dredge on a 2.5" float and frame presents some problems. When i sold them they came with the frame and floats marked 2.5 on the box.
If you run them the wrong way the dredge can sink or flip easier than the full size.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remove that 3rd layer ,top screen, and take it back to a simple over under and you'll have much better results. Keep discharge out of the water to facilitate cleaning and you be a much happier miner with half as much to pan out. Learn to love the one your with(just like wives) or modify rocks too. John

OP
OP
Clev

Clev

Feb 16, 2010
Polk County,NC
Great info guys!! I am learning alot just reading your replies. Thank you so much. Looks like I am leaning towards a proline now. lol. So that means I will have to buy used equipment vs new stuff.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great info guys!! I am learning alot just reading your replies. Thank you so much. Looks like I am leaning towards a proline now. lol. So that means I will have to buy used equipment vs new stuff.

I got mine used and no regrets I even got a thermostat controlled wetsuit heater with it. I highly recommend doing a over/under conversion it will increase the fine gold take by 1000%. If you have a buddy that knows dredges have them go with you to look at it pumps and engines are big bucks.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
I bought a new 4" keene ultra mini a year ago. I have over 200 hours on it and i love it. The 6.5 vanguard engine pull starts first pull every time, and has a low oil fail safe.
It is just a tad tippy not as stable as the full size 4" but lets me get into tight spots.
I have run with prolines, gold grabbers and frankenstein dredges.
Ill take my mini, its manageable and light for one guy to run, its powerful and pulls great at 10+ feet before the suction falls off.
I beat on my dredge too, its tether broke and went down class 3s last season and stayed upright.
I wouldnt hesitate. A dredge is a tool. The brand doesnt matter a whole lot if its pushes dirt through the sluice.
Its up to the operator as to how much dirt is moved.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433941511.543565.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread