What's new

KellyCos Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

Terry Soloman

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
21,757
Reaction score
35,448
Golden Thread
1
Location
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

Kellyco does things that I think can be cheesy sometimes (corny) as far as marketing and promotion but, they are also on the leading edge as far as distributors and dealers trying to educate the consumer in a positive way. Every company - if they are smart, marries THEIR message to educational and public service content, and I think this is a Great example that went up on KellyCo's Facebook page. :thumbsup: What do YOU think?

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/library/five_questions.htm
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

I used to buy from them all the time, but I refuse to support them anymore.
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

Okay, relichunter, I'll bite...why do you refuse to buy from them?
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

[mod]no (he said, she said, I heard)
hearsay here please[/mod]
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

Before this gets nuts, I just want to say this. Small, independent dealers to the BEST job of one-on-one, customer service and training - period. I have a few emails that I am in the process of answering from some good friends that happen to sell various brands of metal detectors, and they are not happy with my statement. :laughing7:

People need information to make educated choices. Information - good and bad, is much easier to get these days. It is good to see a BIG company like Kellyco, making moves to try and address this need - especially to a younger demographic through Facebook. :hello2:
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

I noticed none of the answers to the questions were Tesoro detectors mentioned, even though they have the best warranty in the business. I don't know why that would be unless Tesoro will not let them discount their machines to keep the playing field level with the smaller dealers. Do you think? Huh? LOL Most of the machines hyped were the higher ticket items which I guess is natural when you have to make a buck.

They are not a bad company to deal with though. I even bought a detector from them once, a Fisher 1260-X back in the 80s and was well pleased with their service. However I prefer to deal with local companies where I can go and feel the merchandise. I sleep better at night.
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

Because KellyCo is putting all the private dealers out of business, and many storefront locations, because they charge super dirt cheap and throw in a ton of free stuff on top of it. Why wouldn't you want to buy from there? It's too good to pass up.

But I support the small guys, when they charge $350 for a detector, and kellyco charges $290 with free shipping, a free shovel, pouch, logbook, belt clip, etc, kellyco wins.

I would continue to support them only if they charged same price as dealers.

@Jeff that isn't a he said she said, that is a fact.
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

relichunters said:
Because KellyCo is putting all the private dealers out of business, and many storefront locations, because they charge super dirt cheap and throw in a ton of free stuff on top of it. Why wouldn't you want to buy from there? It's too good to pass up.

But I support the small guys, when they charge $350 for a detector, and kellyco charges $290 with free shipping, a free shovel, pouch, logbook, belt clip, etc, kellyco wins.

I would continue to support them only if they charged same price as dealers.

@Jeff that isn't a he said she said, that is a fact.

So you will support them only if they raise their prices? :icon_scratch:

If your going to buy a new car and your local car dealer's price is a $1000 more than a large time dealer 50 miles away your going to skip the 50 mile drive and pay a $1000 more for the car?
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

Treasure_Hunter said:
If your going to buy a new car and your local car dealer's price is a $1000 more than a large time dealer 50 miles away your going to skip the 50 mile drive and pay a $1000 more for the car?

or the opposite

You live beside the Big dealer
& the closest Mom & Pop is 50 mile away ?

your going to spend the gas to pay more ?
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

I bought my detector from KellyCo but the price was the same as a dealer close to me about 25 miles away. I only bought it from KellyCo because I did get all the free gear though.

I figured if I am going to pay the same price at either place might as well get the other items that I would have to buy. I know it is not the best free stuff, most things that are free never are. But it saved me a few bucks not having to buy it, although I did not get much use out the free digger they game me, It broke on the first hole I dug and caused me to slice my finger on the first of many cans I find. :BangHead:
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

Treasure_Hunter said:
relichunters said:
Because KellyCo is putting all the private dealers out of business, and many storefront locations, because they charge super dirt cheap and throw in a ton of free stuff on top of it. Why wouldn't you want to buy from there? It's too good to pass up.

But I support the small guys, when they charge $350 for a detector, and kellyco charges $290 with free shipping, a free shovel, pouch, logbook, belt clip, etc, kellyco wins.

I would continue to support them only if they charged same price as dealers.

@Jeff that isn't a he said she said, that is a fact.

So you will support them only if they raise their prices? :icon_scratch:

If your going to buy a new car and your local car dealer's price is a $1000 more than a large time dealer 50 miles away your going to skip the 50 mile drive and pay a $1000 more for the car?

Yes I will pay full price for a detector. But I refuse to put people out of business by under cutting them.
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

relichunters said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
relichunters said:
Because KellyCo is putting all the private dealers out of business, and many storefront locations, because they charge super dirt cheap and throw in a ton of free stuff on top of it. Why wouldn't you want to buy from there? It's too good to pass up.

But I support the small guys, when they charge $350 for a detector, and kellyco charges $290 with free shipping, a free shovel, pouch, logbook, belt clip, etc, kellyco wins.

I would continue to support them only if they charged same price as dealers.

@Jeff that isn't a he said she said, that is a fact.

So you will support them only if they raise their prices? :icon_scratch:

If your going to buy a new car and your local car dealer's price is a $1000 more than a large time dealer 50 miles away your going to skip the 50 mile drive and pay a $1000 more for the car?

Yes I will pay full price for a detector. But I refuse to put people out of business by under cutting them.

Well here is hoping Kellyco doesn't raise their prices, and Yea to Kellyco and all the other stores that cut their prices....................
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

i want to put my 2 cents in here- kellyco offers pretty good deals, even if most of their extras aren't really good. I know I paid a decent amount for a garrett ACE 350 from them / and no local dealers are in my area (north eastern Pa -we have some hobby shops, but the regular sporting goods stores only carry the cheap $100 detectors- nothing really worth buying.) -and then bought a minelab from Mike at woodland- he had a better price then kellyco. :notworthy: I think most people will go with who ever has the best price, but also Mike's service is about the best you can get. I called the guy on a Sat night and my bank wouldn't process the amount because it was over $1000! he still worked with me on things, and got the deal done. once my Etrac arrived he worked with me on the phone setting it up. customer service and the whole package makes the deal, I'd buy some kellco again also- because for me there are no local dealers in my area, even if they have a web presence I've yet to see any ads on TV or hear of them word of mouth...and that is their fault. I can't blame kellyco for buying in bulk, underselling products and staying in business. - it's business. company's do that if they want to stay in business, they take care of their customers...this is a lot like the Walmart argument - I won't shop there because they put small businesses under... walmat sells cheap stuff, and cut throat rates- I can't see kellyco doing that- they don't seem to be dealing direct with china and having things made...when they do I might side with you on that one -right now, they in my opinion are pretty good- oh and they owe me $25...for messing up my last order...seriously- you'd think I'd give them bad knocks? they said I have a credit waiting on my next order. Thank you for bringing this up- as I'm going to have to take them up on it...you just reminded me! :P
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

mfitzy111 said:
this is a lot like the Walmart argument - I won't shop there because they put small businesses under... walmat sells cheap stuff, and cut throat rates- I can't see kellyco doing that- they don't seem to be dealing direct with china and having things made

Only reason I won't shop at Wal-mart is because of all the China made stuff, they support china stuff because it's cheap. The founder of Wal-mart wanted only American made stuff, to help our country, when the new owner took over, he was greedy and went straight for China stuff.

China stuff is ruining this country, and yes it's putting lots of small businesses out of business, local manufacturing companies who can't match the prices, but the American quality is way higher.
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

You know it is interesting to me how layered, textured if you will, this thread is. People have very strong feelings, that translate into their everyday life - and purchasing habits. The bottom line for me? Follow the money.

Everything costs money, and the "good" stuff - no matter what it is, costs more money. In this case, we are comparing an International Warehouse Seller, to a small business owner in a fairly large city. A newbie ALWAYS pays more to get into any hobby or sport, because 95-percent of the time they are purchasing based on suggestions from strangers and Google advice. The other 5-percent try to "Cheap" it out, and end up buying the stuff they need three-times before getting it.

If you already KNOW what you want and what you are doing with it, then you can forgo the handholding and personal instruction and save yourself a few dollars shopping at KellyCo. If you don't know a lower rod from a very low frequency, then you probably need to pay that extra $$$ for some personal attention you aint gonna get from the KellyCo Chick!

I smell the old "mining the miners" argument in here somewhere, and it smells just as rotten now as it did in 1849 to me. Just my two-cents
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

I for one understand the issue with lower cost proudcts made in China when my quality is 100% better. I own a small printer cartridge remanufacturing company and I hear it all the time when someone asks how much a cartridge costs. I give them the price and they are like "I can get that on-line for $15 less" or whatever amount not realizing that the products are imported from China and they are probably paying people .38 an hour to make it.

Mean while I have invested thousands of dollars in testing equipment to ensure my end product is of the highest quality and made with the best products I can buy, but it turns out some folks only care about price and not quality.
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

MADJOKER said:
I for one understand the issue with lower cost proudcts made in China when my quality is 100% better. I own a small printer cartridge remanufacturing company and I hear it all the time when someone asks how much a cartridge costs. I give them the price and they are like "I can get that on-line for $15 less" or whatever amount not realizing that the products are imported from China and they are probably paying people .38 an hour to make it.

Mean while I have invested thousands of dollars in testing equipment to ensure my end product is of the highest quality and made with the best products I can buy, but it turns out some folks only care about price and not quality.

Agreed, I don't think people even think about where it comes from. I own a sign shop and makes banners, magnets, vehicle lettering, etc. I only deal in high quality vinyl and material, won't touch the cheap stuff. I mean would you rather have a 6 year vinyl, or a 3 or 4 year vinyl for a business vehicle your going to use for 5 - 8 years?

I hate how people get upset with me when I charge $90 for a now open banner, and they tell me they can get it on ebay for $41, even with shipping it's like $60 total. But what they don't understand is those shippers are China and Hong Kong and their banners are 10oz, where my is 14oz (very very thick and durable). Plus I can have it ready next day, where they have to wait 7 - 10 days for it imported. So they yell at me and say I am trying to cheat people and I am greedy.

Makes you want to choke them.
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

I'm trying to figure out why people on this thread are saying Kellyco has the best prices. In price shopping five detectors and four scoops over a six month period, using sponsors from this site and one other, Kellyco was never the lowest price. On the most expensive items, they were far from the lowest price. One detector was over $200 difference. But, they were going to throw in a bunch of useless junk. Do I really need a metal detecting book written in the seventies?

On the Chinese issue, I have no problem with buying Chinese products as long as they work and last. Good thing because sometimes there is little choice. The problem with this as it relates to Kellyco is that they sell two expensive in house detectors, the Cobra and Viper that do neither. Not hearsay, direct observation. Not product bashing, fact. Though the Cobra works somewhat, as a beach machine, the Sovereign GT can be bought for less money and comes with a rep that is renouned for beach hunting.

On another topic where is Kellyco girl? Am I just missing her post, or is she MIA?
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

tjc45 said:
I'm trying to figure out why people on this thread are saying Kellyco has the best prices. In price shopping five detectors and four scoops over a six month period, using sponsors from this site and one other, Kellyco was never the lowest price. On the most expensive items, they were far from the lowest price. One detector was over $200 difference. But, they were going to throw in a bunch of useless junk. Do I really need a metal detecting book written in the seventies?

On the Chinese issue, I have no problem with buying Chinese products as long as they work and last. Good thing because sometimes there is little choice. The problem with this as it relates to Kellyco is that they sell two expensive in house detectors, the Cobra and Viper that do neither. Not hearsay, direct observation. Not product bashing, fact. Though the Cobra works somewhat, as a beach machine, the Sovereign GT can be bought for less money and comes with a rep that is renouned for beach hunting.

On another topic where is Kellyco girl? Am I just missing her post, or is she MIA?

99% of the useless junk as you call it is given to Kellyco by the manufactures to give away with the equipment sold....

tjc45 said:
The problem with this as it relates to Kellyco is that they sell two expensive in house detectors, the Cobra and Viper that do neither. Not hearsay, direct observation. Not product bashing, fact. Though the Cobra works somewhat, as a beach machine, the Sovereign GT can be bought for less money and comes with a rep that is renouned for beach hunting.



Per KellyCo website, the Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet costs $399, the Hybrid Viper Trident costs $449 and the Sovereign GT costs $999 so how is it you can say the Sovereign GT can be bought for less money when it cost twice as much. :icon_scratch:

I own two Sov GTs, they are unsurpassed for hunting saltwater beaches both wetsand and dry sand and I agree the Cobra and Viper are pretty much a waste of money, but your statement about the costs are wrong and misleading........
 
Re: KellyCo's Top Metal Detector Questions to Ask

I stopped dealing with kellyco after they tried to charge me $16 shipping on a BH/Teknetics pinpointer. Something as small as that can cost a company my business. I ordered a new detector from a dealer here on tnet and got a carry case and pinpointer along with the detector with free shipping and a great price to boot.

None of the above is he said she said, it is all fact.

Will i order from kellyco again? Nope. Will I continue to order from dealers on tnet? Yep.

When kellyco can tell me why it costs $16 to ship an item that weighs less than pound, 5-7 day shipping, I may reconsider ordering from them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom