Kentucky Rock Shelters and Artifacts

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Finally getting around to arranging/displaying some finds from years gone by. Each frame is site specific. Private land with permission. Nothing over the top but, it's an honor to be the curator of these. Now, I can display and educate others, which we all should do.

Attachments

• rs.JPG
    rs.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 109
  • rs1.JPG
    rs1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Case.jpg
    Case.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 191
  • case1.jpg
    case1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Case2.jpg
    Case2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 0

the creek gang

May 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finally getting around to arranging/displaying some finds from years gone by. Each frame is site specific. Private land with permission. Nothing over the top but, it's an honor to be the curator of these. Now, I can display and educate others, which we all should do.

That land is spectacular.
Your displays are something to be proud of.

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That is one big rock. I can see how that would be a great place to live. Some really nice finds to go along with the cool scenery

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Looks to be mostly Archaic. Those are very old sites. Awesome finds!

Thanks Grim and bittersweetly that it's mostly Archaic. My Father and Grand Father dug these shelters back in the 70's or at least, dug at them lol. I remember as a kid, seeing the Woodland and Ft. Ancient pieces that came from these places, some really nice stuff. They just didn't dig deep enough!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Those ARE nice frames. CAN I see a couple photos of the large uniface flake tool (upper right 3rd frame)? It seems to have a graver or spokeshave detail on it. I’d like to compare it to one in my collection.

Please and thank you

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Great stuff! I love the older Archaic stuff, I bet there are of big old shelters like that left with a lot of Archaic if you are willing to dig down through the cleaner dirt.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That place looks awesome!!! Cool finds too!!!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Great stuff! I love the older Archaic stuff, I bet there are a lot of big old shelters like that left with a lot of Archaic if you are willing to dig down through the cleaner dirt.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Great stuff! I love the older Archaic stuff, I bet there are a lot of big old shelters like that left with a lot of Archaic if you are willing to dig down through the cleaner dirt.

I'm faced with that "clean dirt" issue now lol. Generally, there's a two foot "void" of clean dirt between Woodland and Archaic. Now that I've reached a new void (the end of the Archaic layer) I've been pondering......keep digging? Always wanted to find that first Paleo but there's not much evidence supporting that pre-Archaic people spent much time in rock shelters in this area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread