Kentuckys feathers ruffled over boulder

K

Kentucky Kache

Kentucky's feathers ruffled over boulder

An 8-ton boulder that hadn't been visible above the Ohio River waterline for more than 80 years is now at the center of a border battle between Ohio and Kentucky.

After an Ohio historian pulled the sandstone rock from its watery confines in September and placed it in the Portsmouth municipal garage, some Kentucky officials threw a fit.

The Kentucky Legislature is even considering a resolution condemning the rock's removal and demanding that it be returned to Kentucky's side of the river.

What's so special about this boulder, known as Indian Head Rock? Some Kentucky officials say it contains carvings by prehistoric American Indians and the removal shows disrespect for their heritage.

Others dispute that contention, saying the rock contains a simple carving of a face and several names of early Portsmouth residents.

"The historical significance of this pretty much all relates to Ohio," said Ohio Rep. Todd Book, D-Portsmouth. Those who want to put it back or destroy it, he said, "must have rocks in their own head. This is a historically significant artifact that should be studied and enjoyed by people now and in the future."

Mostly, it appears that Kentuckians are ticked off that some Ohioans carted off a rock from their part of the river without permission.

"Basically, this was a raid," Kentucky Rep. Reginald Meeks, D-Louisville, told the Associated Press. "We're going to use all legal means to get them to return it to its rightful place in the commonwealth. And if that doesn't work, we may need to send a raiding party into Portsmouth."

For Steve Shaffer, the Ironton man who fed his interest in rock carvings by searching three years for the boulder and then organizing a team to bring it to the surface, the dispute has left him scratching his head. He said he has received threatening e-mails from Kentuckians, and he wonders why anyone would want to put the rock back.

"Probably a fraction of 1 percent of the population knew about this rock. It was forgotten," he said. "Amazingly, once we got it up, you wouldn't believe all the people that knew about it."

Shaffer hopes that state officials or Portsmouth Mayor James Kalb can work out a solution so the rock can be put on display in the city. He has written a research paper on it, including stories of how the carvings came to be, which range from theories on Indian markings to river pirates marking buried treasure.

"I have not heard one person in Kentucky say that this is important to their history," Shaffer said. "All we have heard is, 'Put it back in the water.' It's almost like they're going to punish Portsmouth for having this bit of history. They don't want it."

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/liv...ight.ART_ART_01-30-08_B1_L9970NV.html?sid=101

rockfight__1__01-30-08_B1_V097172.jpg

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Re: Kentucky's feathers ruffled over boulder

Steve is a good guy. I don't think he would ever deliberately destroy rock art.

However, I am in agreement that it should not have been removed from its location. This destroys the "integrity" of the boulder, let alone the "site," its placement location. I hope Steve got excellent coordinates of its location, although I don't see how it can ever be placed in its exact position again.

I also hope Kentucky does not pursue legal matters against Steve. He genuinely enjoys rock art.

Cavers5

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other

Like A Rock!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crack Rock ART

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other

That rock is really special to us. Please give it back so we can sink it back into the bottom of the river. Hmmph.....

drywasher

Feb 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What is going on with this country and it's people???????
they want to save everything, not use anything, and keep everything for future generations................
NEXT, we will have to save all the diapers because, they will have a scientific history of our extinction in them..
altho i'm not sure if: greed,laziness,entitlements,no sense of whats right and wrong and a me first attitude would be able to be found in the waste>>>>>>>>>>>
just my opinion and i'm sticking to it , george

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread