What's new

Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere

Well, I’m a bit chagrined to see I haven’t been updating this for a year! I’ve been getting out digging routinely of course. My streak is 12 months longer! I recently started metal detecting with a Gold Monster 1000. These were the first “nuggets” I found, in July. I spent a week at the AKAU Resort outside of Nome. Over the rest of the week, I found 5 more detecting as well as larger nuggets found while high banking and running their small commercial scale wash plant. Fun week, I hope to go again!
Glad you got up to Alaska, and I'm so jealous! I had a gold prospecting trip planned in 2020 where I would have done some nugget hunting/detecting, but then the pandemic cancelled that. Finally made it up there last summer with my son and we did some panning (I won't embarrass myself by showing what we found - but we did find Alaska gold!). I'll have to look at that AKAU Resort and try to get up there in 2025 or 2026.
And thanks for updating your "...elsewhere" thread! We all love following your adventures!
- Brian
 
Great to hear from you Brian! I’d love to organize a group to go up to AKAU together, including you of course!
 
Still refer to your book quite often, and recommend it to Colorado detectors all the time!
 
The fine gold from my latest trip (to the Arkansas River). The coarse gold was 12 pieces of +30 mesh and just under 0.1 gram of 30-45 mesh. This soap dish is 45-70, 70-125, and -125. The small stuff is in the top-right of the photo. Fun stuff to pan!
IMG_1043.webp
 
The fine gold from my latest trip (to the Arkansas River). The coarse gold was 12 pieces of +30 mesh and just under 0.1 gram of 30-45 mesh. This soap dish is 45-70, 70-125, and -125. The small stuff is in the top-right of the photo. Fun stuff to pan!View attachment 2211517
You finding this in Chaffee County?
 
This was just a few miles downstream of the town of Salida.
Neat!. I asked a fella some time ago when I made a visit to a rock quarry in Parkdale, Co thats up stream from Cañon City if they wash any of the gold from their alluvial rock processing. He said they did and pointed to a building he said they do recover gold in. I never asked if I could see, as I was there to see a drill and blast contractor on sight who onsite to do some rock blasting where they process the red granite rock higher up from the river. I thought it was interesting that there's an active placer gold operation on the upper Arkansas River. I asked the fella I checked in with how much gold on average would they recovery in a months time. He only told me they get a fair amount of fine gold, but gave me no actual amounts.
 
Neat!. I asked a fella some time ago when I made a visit to a rock quarry in Parkdale, Co thats up stream from Cañon City if they wash any of the gold from their alluvial rock processing. He said they did and pointed to a building he said they do recover gold in. I never asked if I could see, as I was there to see a drill and blast contractor on sight who onsite to do some rock blasting where they process the red granite rock higher up from the river. I thought it was interesting that there's an active placer gold operation on the upper Arkansas River. I asked the fella I checked in with how much gold on average would they recovery in a months time. He only told me they get a fair amount of fine gold, but gave me no actual amounts.
Yup! I’m not surprised he didn’t know how much…or wouldn’t tell ya!

We have over 30 sand and gravel pits in Colorado gold country which produce gold as a “byproduct”! I live in Silverthorne; the pit on the north edge of town here is one of them. Not a surprise to me since my profitable mining claim is about 10 miles downstream of the gravel pit!
 
Yup! I’m not surprised he didn’t know how much…or wouldn’t tell ya!

We have over 30 sand and gravel pits in Colorado gold country which produce gold as a “byproduct”! I live in Silverthorne; the pit on the north edge of town here is one of them. Not a surprise to me since my profitable mining claim is about 10 miles downstream of the gravel pit!
That's interesting i would've never guessed there were that many.
 
I hosted over 20 GPOR club members at my claim a couple weeks ago. Fun day!!
IMG_1400.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1392.webp
    IMG_1392.webp
    4.2 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1394.webp
    IMG_1394.webp
    4.5 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1401.webp
    IMG_1401.webp
    2.9 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1399.webp
    IMG_1399.webp
    4 MB · Views: 70
An exciting moment recently. I detected gold for the first time in Colorado. It’s a nest of wire gold, def a bucket list find!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1207.webp
    IMG_1207.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1209.webp
    IMG_1209.webp
    67.8 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom