Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a 10" black finish pan and 30 & 50 mesh classifiers...no fancy tools needed. I do put the gold in a small green soap dish with a little water/Jetdry after panning. In the dish I do some final cleaning with the backwash and tap method and the swirl method to get the last of the black sands out of the gold. The super smooth surface of the soap dish($2 at Walmart btw) helps with that final cleaning so it only takes a minute.

Last edited:

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL Deutschland Uber Alles!

Looks like a great day digging!

Cheers.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can you post a picture of said soap dish? the only ones i found are tiny like the size of a bar of soap..

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking dig spot you got there sir!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
*sarcasm* your hole isn't big enough*sarcasm*
LoL...right?! I actually worry I might get in trouble for this big hole!

Nice looking dig spot you got there sir!
:-)

image-669438420.jpg ...the gold on the far left is from my last trip.

0.12 grams this time :). The rest of the gold is from recent outings :) 3/4 gram in total since mid last month.

Jjhall68

Jun 23, 2014
NW Washington
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector heavy weight, Gold Cube, Blue bowl, Garrett, 2" Keene dredge.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is great looking set up Kevin
Thanks for sharing

gunflintguy

Oct 4, 2013
Northern Mn
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Blue Bowl
Sluices: 36" Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper, Angus McKirk Recon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be in Denver metro area looking areas to run my BGT sniper later this week.

My son’s business trip went from 3 days in Colorado Springs to 5 days to include Golden. So it turns out that I have some time to run my BGT while he’s busy. I will be in the Spring’s later this week and Golden late Sunday till late Tuesday next week.

I have followed Kevin’s thread and other peoples responses and it seems to me that the below mentioned 4 places could be areas I should check depending on the actual time I have.

South Plate River-Grant Frontier Park 2300 S Platte River Dr., Denver I am assuming the access and parking is at the park itself. Correct?

South Plate River -Steel St. Park at Steel/ 78th Ave looks like Welby per google maps or on the edge of Thorton can’t tell which for sure. Where to access and park?

Clear Creek- Arapahoe Bar Prospecting Park, which is the better access -41st and Youngfield trailhead parking lot or on the South frontage road of Highway 58, East of McIntyre Street?

Clear creek -near Tymkovich Meats at 6811 Washington St, Denver, where to access and park?

Any one better than another? Any areas not mentioned? Any areas near the city of Golden?

I lived in the Spring’s years ago and it has grown immensely since I was there and used to travel up into the mountains, I don’t think much is open around there anymore.

At any of these locations what is the best plan of action? Type of footwear needed? I plan on taking the sniper, shovel, and buckets to the site. Either I will classify and pan off my concentrates or just bring them back to Minnesota to deal with them later, not sure which yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son’s business trip went from 3 days in Colorado Springs to 5 days to include Golden. So it turns out that I have some time to run my BGT while he’s busy. I will be in the Spring’s later this week and Golden late Sunday till late Tuesday next week.

I have followed Kevin’s thread and other peoples responses and it seems to me that the below mentioned 4 places could be areas I should check depending on the actual time I have.

South Plate River-Grant Frontier Park 2300 S Platte River Dr., Denver I am assuming the access and parking is at the park itself. Correct?

South Plate River -Steel St. Park at Steel/ 78th Ave looks like Welby per google maps or on the edge of Thorton can’t tell which for sure. Where to access and park?

Clear Creek- Arapahoe Bar Prospecting Park, which is the better access -41st and Youngfield trailhead parking lot or on the South frontage road of Highway 58, East of McIntyre Street?

Clear creek -near Tymkovich Meats at 6811 Washington St, Denver, where to access and park?

Any one better than another? Any areas not mentioned? Any areas near the city of Golden?

I lived in the Spring’s years ago and it has grown immensely since I was there and used to travel up into the mountains, I don’t think much is open around there anymore.

At any of these locations what is the best plan of action? Type of footwear needed? I plan on taking the sniper, shovel, and buckets to the site. Either I will classify and pan off my concentrates or just bring them back to Minnesota to deal with them later, not sure which yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Platte is still high, I would recommend the big bend 78th n steele.

South frontage road on the Youngsfield query.

Let us know when you are working! Someone will come by and say Hi surely. :)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right now the best accessible gold is probably Steele St Open Space park just N of 78th. Second would be the Arapahoe Prospecting Park which is really close to golden so that might be good for you. Best access to that is to approach the creek from the south (just west of I-70)...the approach from the north is blocked by Coors and the state/county roads people.

Either way, I recommend river sandals or old tennis/running shoes rather than boots as the water is pretty warm. And shorts not pants :)

gunflintguy

Oct 4, 2013
Northern Mn
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick reply's from both of you. Sounds like the Steele Street Open Space Park and Arapahoe Prospecting Park will be checked out. I will know better what time I have available sometime after Thursday, and leave a reply. Thanks Kevin for the heads up on the running/river shoes and shorts.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the quick reply's from both of you. Sounds like the Steele Street Open Space Park and Arapahoe Prospecting Park will be checked out. I will know better what time I have available sometime after Thursday, and leave a reply. Thanks Kevin for the heads up on the running/river shoes and shorts.

..Kevin is The Man.

Quite wise

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
..Kevin is The Man. Quite wise
(Blushing) awe, thanks!

Gunflintguy, like P70 said, let us know when you'll be digging and maybe you'll have some company :)

PS at the Arapahoe Prospecting Park, the best gold is usually IN the creek bed from center toward the north bank and about 1 foot down or so. You know you are in the good layer when the rocks coming up are black to dark gray color ( turn light gray when dry)...that's where the bigger flakes are usually :)

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take sunscreen! Mah Leeeegggsss! lol!
Yes yes, sensible river shoes, old sneakers work great.
May want to bring an umbrella too for the youngun's. Its been dang hot these last couple of days!
I'm booked solid through this up and coming weekend, hope you find lots of gold.
Best,

gunflintguy

Oct 4, 2013
Northern Mn
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info from both of you. No need for an umbrella. Only 2 adults on this trip. But will need the sunscreen for my legs. Our state bird the "mosquito" will still be out in force till mid August, so its almost always long pants season here. We leave tomorrow morning.

Kevin do you know if GOLD-N-DETECTORS in Golden carry's the gold cube? I would like to see one while on this trip if possible. I have seen the you tube video's but would like to see it myself.

I have a gold bug pro md and I know it can find 1 grain flakes of gold. Would it be worth my while to try that also at either spots or is the gold in these areas to small?

Thanks again

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info from both of you. No need for an umbrella. Only 2 adults on this trip. But will need the sunscreen for my legs. Our state bird the "mosquito" will still be out in force till mid August, so its almost always long pants season here. We leave tomorrow morning. Kevin do you know if GOLD-N-DETECTORS in Golden carry's the gold cube? I would like to see one while on this trip if possible. I have seen the you tube video's but would like to see it myself. I have a gold bug pro md and I know it can find 1 grain flakes of gold. Would it be worth my while to try that also at either spots or is the gold in these areas to small? Thanks again John

Hi John, I don't think GoldnDetectors has the gold cube but contact the manufacturer to ask who has them in metroDenver. One of the inventors, Red Wilcox, lives right here in town so...maybe they can arrange a show n tell session :)

I say bring the gold bug md. It is fairly rare to see larger gold but a detector might lead you to it. Can you submerge your coil? We have a lot of iron sand too so finding an iron sand concentration would most like work with the detector and lead you to a pay streak...worth trying anyway!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John, I don't think GoldnDetectors has the gold cube but contact the manufacturer to ask who has them in metroDenver. One of the inventors, Red Wilcox, lives right here in town so...maybe they can arrange a show n tell session :)

I say bring the gold bug md. It is fairly rare to see larger gold but a detector might lead you to it. Can you submerge your coil? We have a lot of iron sand too so finding an iron sand concentration would most like work with the detector and lead you to a pay streak...worth trying anyway!

I've often wondered why one wouldnt shrink wrap their coil so it can be dipped. I have a cheap MD, I may try to put it in a big trash bag hehehe! It may not tell me where the small gold is, but surely can tell me where the lead bullets and sinkers are in the creek/river.

gunflintguy

Oct 4, 2013
Northern Mn
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin and P 70,

From what I understand a lot of the modern metal detectors are water proof up to the control box itself. My GP pro is and I have had it in the water up to a few feet down. My rivers aren't very deep.

I have a lot of iron ( hematite and magnetite) in my neck of the woods and most of the time I can ground balance it out. I am still learning how to follow the iron (Black sands) with the MD because where those concentrate, as we all know, I may find the gold. But again I am still learning as I go along.

P70 I spent a lot of time this spring finding bird shot (7's) along with all of the other stuff people leave. Coins, aluminum pull tabs, bottle caps etc.

Kevin thanks for the info on the Arkansas river and Red Wilcox, I will try to contact them.

Thanks again for all the help

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread