Key date license plate!!!UPDATE for those who said "so what who cares"

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Key date license plate!!!UPDATE for those who said "so what who cares"

Hi everyone, I detected an 1835 farmhouse yesterday and today.Got nothin' yesterday but a 1959 dog license and a 1960 dog licence and two clad quarters.Was invited to come back today and hunt the cellar,so I did.No coins in the cellar but I detected the walls(granite slab) and at the back of the house about four feet in from the inside corner in the center of the top slab that the sill sits on,I got a big hit.I thought,it must be on the outside of the slab as there is no room to get anything up under it. so I went around to the outside and there was an ell attached to the house right there,so I pulled up a couple boards and grabbed a piece of wood and started moving the debris.OH yeah I forgot to mention that this house is being disassembled and sold for salvage.So I scrape the debris aside and then I see just the corner of this plate.I immediately grabbed it up,I knew what it was as soon as I saw the corner as I have found one just like it before.I was really pyched because the last one I sold at a small local auction and got $50.00 for it and then I did a little more research and found out they've been going for upwards of $150,got screwed on that one but I'll make good on this one!I really never thought I'd find another one.I've found alot of license plates but only one of these before now.
It is an undated type one red porcalain on steel Maine tag #8225 Licence plate in damn good shape for the age.This is the first type of license plate issued by the state of Maine in 1912-13 and then the color changed to cobalt blue and they began to put the date on them.
I don't normally get so excited about a license plate but this one is special!!
I also found an 1883 and 1895 IHP before I left.Thanks for reading, Bootstrap

Attachments

• MVC-889F.JPG
    MVC-889F.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,416
  • MVC-891F.JPG
    MVC-891F.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,419
  • MVC-890F.JPG
    MVC-890F.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,398
Upvote 0
Re: Key date license plate!!! I'm serious

Nice catch on the plate, BS!
Any porcelain plate is very collectible and that one is in fine shape...WTG.....Joe

Great looking plate Bootstrap.....
Congrats on he IH's, too. Thanks for the story and photo's

Desertfox

Nice finds Vinn---That plate is way cool.

I dont see a lot of license plates posted on here. Heres one i found a few months ago. Its local from my town and is 2.5 by 3.5 inchesPicture.jpg

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,295

WOW ! i had no idea that old plates were of any value ! great find and congrats on the IH's also ;)

Thanks for your replies everyone, they are appreciated! I know alot of people don't think of plates as treasure but if you find one of these old porcelain ones it may change your mind.
Thanks for the info bookfisher,I stand corrected.The info I gave was given from my memory and I guess that's not what it used to be LOL. I'm glad it's older than I originally thought.Hey Jeff,I guess I missed the point of lightening the pic.Does it show something that I can't see?Hey Missouri John,I think yours is a motorcycle plate and the real old ones are going for over $200.Some states had people make up their own plates in the early years so yours may be one of those,not sure.
The IHP'S were a nice surprise also as Saturday I got no old coins Thanks again Bootstrap

:D VINN I was hoping Lighting it would make it show detail Better.
It Didn't but Posted it any way :D

Sweet license plate, Boot! If I was you, I'd make myself a belt buckle out of that sucker. You know the kind they win for rodeos? Heck, those things aren't nearly as big as that one would be! Plus, it already has spots for mounting holes on each corner. ;D

Seriously, though. Sweeeeet plate. With the roll you're on, I think that even if you fell into a cesspool, you'd come up with a candy bar. (Okay, that sounded kind of gross....I think I messed up the saying).

MP

Thanks Playah,as long as that cesspool has treasure at the bottom,I'm in!!The grounds getting pretty frosty now so unless we get a warm up I think it's over for this year.You lucky dog, all you have to do is drive an hour or so south and your detectin' again,must be nice 8) Thanks for stopping by,HH Bootstrap

Re: Key date license plate!!!UPDATE for those that said "So what who cares"

Hi everyone,just wanted to update you on this plate.I've found many plates in the past and they're usually all rusty and I just throw them in the scrap pile,but this one was different.I knew they were worth $$$ but never expected this.I do not collect plates so being a little short on cash I decided to list it on ebay and see what happened.Well,let me tell you,I just about fell out of my chair when I saw what it went for, $455.00!!!! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!! If you'd like to check it out for yourself go to ebay and search completed listings for 1905 Maine license plate porcelain.Dig those big targets that you may think are junk,you just might get a goody like this too!!! HH Bootstrap

Re: Key date license plate!!!UPDATE for those that said "So what who cares"

bootstrap vinn said:
Hi everyone,just wanted to update you on this plate.I've found many plates in the past and they're usually all rusty and I just throw them in the scrap pile,but this one was different.I knew they were worth $$$ but never expected this.I do not collect plates so being a little short on cash I decided to list it on ebay and see what happened.Well,let me tell you,I just about fell out of my chair when I saw what it went for, $455.00!!!! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!! If you'd like to check it out for yourself go to ebay and search completed listings for 1905 Maine license plate porcelain.Dig those big targets that you may think are junk,you just might get a goody like this too!!! HH Bootstrap
Thank's so much for sharing that information. There is a collector for just about anything. That extra money should go a long way towards Christmas....Steve

Re: Key date license plate!!!UPDATE for those who said "so what who cares"

WOW! I looked at you EBay listing. Looks like your winner used a bidding service - he bid once with 4 seconds left... I wonder what his max $$$ was... But who cares! $455 in your pocket!!!

My dad recently bought a 1930 PA plate for $25. No paint left on it but it was intact (few dents, no rust). He paid $100 to a guy in Florida to restore. It looks like new now. He put it on his '30 Ford truck.

I've looked at 1948 Virginia tags for my car. Nice ones go for $125/pr. Who'da thunk it...

Congrats on your find and sale.

DCMatt

Wow, $455! Super. Never thought there would be a license plate worth that much. I didn't know they made porcelin ones...live & learn. You are right, we should dig those overload signals, there is no telling what could pop up! Congrats on your sale. Spend it wisely.

Thanks Stevesno,DC Matt and prober,That sale totally took me by surprise!!Too bad I gotta spend it on that black gold to heat my house but thats the way it goes.My detector has more than paid for itself this year!!! Good luck to all, bootstrap

cool I never knew a license plate could have a key date (duh) very nice find congrats

HH Vrent

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back