What's new

Key-solved The other thing is still a mystery

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bev
  • Start date Start date
B

Bev

Guest
Good morning!

Steelheadwill suggested I post this utensil thing to see if anyone could help me with it. He thought it was pretty interesting.

While I was at it I thought I'd post this other thing too. I found this yesterday in the woods near that toy derringer and pin. I thought it was a modern Walkman earphone piece but when I washed it I realized it's a bit older. It's metal and the string cloth type part does not have any wires in it or anything, just what you see. The picture with the penny is enhanced to get it as close to the actual color as possible.
I can't for that AHA moment when I see if anyone can ID either one!

Thanks-
 

Attachments

  • found in woods other side.webp
    found in woods other side.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 555
  • found in woods.webp
    found in woods.webp
    19 KB · Views: 541
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 533
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    25 KB · Views: 522
Re: Small utensil and I have no idea thing

First item looks to me like part of an old razor
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small utensil and I have no idea thing

It may be a little small for that, I searched through Google Images (which is a really good search tool BTW) and didnt see anything similiar.
What might help with the other thing is that I'm in a neighborhood that was built primarily in the mid 1950's. Could it be something for a ham radio set up? I do know that back then many houses around here had an antenna and did the ham radio thing. It was pretty popular. Just a thought.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small utensil and I have no idea thing

You are correct Bev, It may be too small to be a razor, I don't have any other idea as to what it is. I'm sure someone on the forum will know what it is though
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small utensil and I have no idea thing

Bev, your first item looks like the remains of a skeleton key. I attached a picture of a recent one I dug.

Keep at it and maybe you will find the big one!

IM

E-mailIMG_1021.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small utensil and I have no idea thing

Oooh yeah..... you know, I think you're on to something! It does look like that! I'll have to move it from my "tableware bag" to my "key and lock" bag! I think you're right- thank you!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small utensil and I have no idea thing

Looks like the top off of a whale oil lamp.
 

Attachments

  • lamp.webp
    lamp.webp
    86.6 KB · Views: 472
Upvote 0
Re: Small utensil and I have no idea thing

:hello:

Could be a Toasting Fork, it looks like it's broke further down. Perhaps like this one :icon_thumleft:

SS
 

Attachments

  • shop_hand_forged_toasting_forks.webp
    shop_hand_forged_toasting_forks.webp
    2.1 KB · Views: 714
Upvote 0
Re: Small utensil and I have no idea thing

I think the id of a skeleton key is right, dont know what the other thing is though.
 
Upvote 0
I think that one item is a two tined pickle fork with the tines missing. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Here's something to think about. It looks like it might be threaded. Is it possible that it's a squished cap that was attached to a jug/bottle with the rope?
 
Upvote 0
I'm not seeing it. You mean the rope/string is the wick? Help me see what you see!
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it is an oil lamp the wick would not come out the side?looks like the end of A garter ? :o

Jonnie
 
Upvote 0
oil lamp wick/top is exactly what t is,with the spout and wick bent over
 
Upvote 0
Re: Key-solved Wick to lamp- solved

Huh. I get it now. Still very cool... thanks everyone!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Key-solved Wick to lamp- solved

Bev said:
Huh. I get it now. Still very cool... thanks everyone!

Thats way cool!!!Thats just the kind of indicator I look for,but never ever have dug one with the wick still!!
 
Upvote 0
Awwwright, I was thinking of those burners with the wide flat wick. This one is the round wick? Any particular maker can I look up to see one "unsquished"?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom