JohnnyMac
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Mar 30, 2012
- Messages
- 1,361
- Reaction score
- 1,794
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- South Jersey
- Detector(s) used
- Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
It looks like a KG half cent. I dug one and it also looked extremely rooched. Not only smaller than the cent but thinner. Yours actually looks like it has good detail. If you want to see it clear and bring out the details right now and you can't wait what I do is lightly rub a number 2 pencil over it. Basically color it in in circles so you get it in every crease. I can tell you will get a date right away. Gently use baking soda to clean and dry it off. Then leave it in olive oil overnight. Some wont recommend this but like I said if you cant wait you'll see it all right now. Yours will pop.It's about the size of a US nickel. Pretty toasted. I'm just getting back in to the hobby after about 9 years and having fun. Don't know if this is a half penny/farting?
Thanks. I have in olive oil now. I'll try the pencil trick afterwards. And yes it is very thin.It looks like a KG half cent. I dug one and it also looked extremely reached. Not only smaller than the cent but thinner. Yours actually looks like it has good detail. If you want to see it clear and bring out the details right now and you can't wait what I do is lightly rub a number 2 pencil over it. Basically color it in in circles so you get it in every crease. I can tell you will get a date right away. Gently use baking soda to clean and dry it off. Then leave it in olive oil overnight. Some wont recommend this but like I said if you cant wait you'll see it all right now. Yours will pop.
What ever it is, it is my thought that maybe you should keep it outside if it is going to do that. Somewhere there is a missing hIt's about the size of a US nickel. Pretty toasted. I'm just getting back in to the hobby after about 9 years and having fun. Don't know if this is a half penny/farting?
You may have a really cool half cent. The bust looks like it's facing right with a prominant wreath around the head. On the other side it looks like the head is lower than my 1749. Look into 1770 to the turn of the 19th century or possibly a very, very early 18th century. It almost looks like a George 1 or 111. What's throwing off everything I'm saying is I think I see a 4 but the location of that 4 puts it in the left facing bust. Yours looks right.It's about the size of a US nickel. Pretty toasted. I'm just getting back in to the hobby after about 9 years and having fun. Don't know if this is a half penny/farting?
Yup, be careful with any open flame around that thing until you can soak it in Beano.......What ever it is, it is my thought that maybe you should keep it outside if it is going to do that. Somewhere there is a missing h![]()

That product is on sale now: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Beano-Ex...6b6c25cb2fda149bd07b47adf3b40a1a&gclsrc=3p.dsYup, be careful with any open flame around that thing until you can soak it in Beano.......![]()
Any news yet?It's about the size of a US nickel. Pretty toasted. I'm just getting back in to the hobby after about 9 years and having fun. Don't know if this is a half penny/farting?
I can make out 17_7 .. i think..lol..im trying.Any news yet?
Any news yet?
I'm going with KG 111 1773 half centIt's about the size of a US nickel. Pretty toasted. I'm just getting back in to the hobby after about 9 years and having fun. Don't know if this is a half penny/farting?
If i measured correctly I'm getting 22 mmIt's a Geo II but without a diameter it's impossible for me to say because a nickel is meaning less to me?
Sure there were....they're called a penny though, not cent.I don't think there were cents in the early 1700s. Maybe it's a farthing.
The head is facing right.OK, it's a Farthing of Geo II
I see it now. It is facing left. Thank youNope it's left.