Ahab8
Gold Member
- Joined
- Oct 15, 2013
- Messages
- 8,427
- Reaction score
- 8,293
- Golden Thread
- 2
- Location
- Topsham, Maine
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 2
- Detector(s) used
- Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
This complete buckle that I found is by far my favorite so far. It's an early style. You can date it to 1690-1720 by the chape style (thanks Bill D.). This thing is so solid I think it could be used today. The place I found it is very interesting and may produce more early finds. I also found a KG there. The 1853 Seated Half Dime is my first half dime and the detail is really nice on it. Here's where I need some help guys. I dug this brass or copper shield shaped item with obvious attachment points on the back. It came from beside a colonial cellar hole. There's a design on it but it's hard to make out. I first thought it was an eagle but now I don't believe it is. There's 3 very distinct lines on the bottom then a design above. I believe the shield was a symbol of patriotism but I have no idea what this was and what it attached to. I would really appreciate everybody's input on this one. I also found an 1864 2 center and an IH. There's also a V nickel that's absolutely destroyed and a few mystery items. Thanks for the help guys
































Upvote
62
....but I have talked to him here and there about things that were sort of a judgement call, and pretty much every time he said what I expected, or the info. he provided did make sense to me. The last time was the 62nd pewter buttons I found which were not backmarked, but he said they were most likely post war/1812, and I was sort of feeling that way too even though I was hoping they'd be Rev War. That said, the experts can definitely disagree because often times it does come down to an educated guess, and if those experts happen to own a particular piece that is in question, then you can be pretty sure they'll be on the side that is favorable to that item.







