KILLER SHARK Attack in Florida . . .

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prayers to his family, but thats the first fatal attack in a long time here...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like he was about a 1/4 mile off shore according to reports.....

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1/4 mile or not I have seen 5 ft blacktips caught in a cast net in knee deep murky water... :o

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S.S.Tupperware said:
1/4 mile or not I have seen 5 ft blacktips caught in a cast net in knee deep murky water... :o

I didn't mean they don't come in close, I have seen then between closest sandbar and shore which is less then 100 feet off shore. I was only saying he was attacked 1/4 mile off shore, just past last sandbar, which I also ocassionaly hunt.....

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Its very sad whenever a person dies pursuing a sport or hobby, no matter how. But "killer" shark?? Shark attack, yes. It might be killer if THAT shark was killing people left and right. I try to stay out of an area where sharks or any apex predator is going through. Its the annual "chase the bait fish" time of year. Not where I'd want to be. Even the papers don't call it a "killer" attack. I'd like to think everywhere is safe all the time but it isn't.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll stick to searching to searching in cold water. Unless I ever find myself in warm water

Prayers to the family!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrible reality of what can happen....

I have seen sharks as close as 10 feet from shore there at Sand Key, 50 feet from shore on Clearwater Beach, miles out in the Gulf, etc. They are everywhere....

I hope to God none of us go through that experience. I know everytime I'm out in the Pacific scuba diving, doing the 15 foot safety stop, those 3 minutes of just waiting there in suspense really gets my mind rolling. I've seen big barracudas, other big fish that I don't know what they were because they were out of sight, etc. during those 3 long minutes. Last week, I missed it, but there were huge manta rays circling the other divers.....or so they said.

Be careful everybody.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told many years ago that the deeper you dive or the farther out you swim, the lower you get on the food chain. Snowbirds move down and start yelling Killer Gator when fluffy becomes a gatorsnack. Not the gator's fault. When you get in the water you agree to accept the risks. If you know sharks are present and you get in anyhow just remember who made the decission to go play with the wild critters. Don't expect anyone to feel upset. I'll be sorry you got eaten or bitten but I won't go hunting the animal. Every sport comes with it's dangers. If you want to be safe, stay in bed and remember not to smoke. Like I said, I'm sorry the boy got killed but he knew the risks and to take it out on all the sharks is stupid. Hey, there's a good movie plot! Some guy shoots a griz cub and Momma starts a "kill all the Humans" hunt. All the grizzlies gang up and kill every human in the Rockies. Turn about is fair play.
Sorry, That's just my point of view. I get tired of hearing how "We never have that problem back home". There are critters of one type or another no matter where we go. There is no reason to run around killing all of them just because someone gets hurt or killed when he knew the risks. I hope that if I ever get killed by some monster of the deep while diving that no one goes after even the one that got me.
Would Steve Erwin want anyone to track down and kill every stingray ? I expected him to get killed by a croc, a snake or some other exotic animal. the stingray was just reacting in a normal defensive manner. The shark was going about his normal feeding routine. Sorry, but these are not reasons to go off and shoot every shark or any other critter. :laughing9: :coffee2:

Florida has a long warm water coastline and sharks are a part of living here just like gators, crocks, snakes and hundreds of other animals. If you don't like it, don't come down here. Just don't expect anyone to go hunting something because you stepped on it and got your leg bitten off or the dang thing killed you.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
White Feather said:
I was told many years ago that the deeper you dive or the farther out you swim, the lower you get on the food chain.

Being that a shark is an apex predator, it can't get any higher on the food chain. Diving deeper or swimming farther out doesn't increase the risk. In fact, more attacks occur in shallow, wading water than in deeper, diving depths.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
MT Pockets said:
Sharks can sense the electromagnetic field of you and your detectors.. :read2:

it's not wise to enter the water with a Metal Detector..

I would be very interested in reading published studies on the effects of EMFs, frequency, and whether it is proven to attract or deter sharks. I am aware of their biology and the the ability to detect electromagnetic pulses with the the Amupullae of Lorenzini. I would like to know of what research has been done with varying frequencies with regards to attraction and avoidance. There used to be a product called Shark Pod, but the technology has since been ceded to Shark Shield. http://www.sharkshield.com/Content/FAQ/

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Except for the fact that there was news coverage of HUNDREDS of sharks heading north after the bait fish. It happens every year. And that video was shot off the town beach my daughter resides in. I know that there are sharks there (the ocean) and I still go in the water but hunderds in the area? Maybe I'll stay on the beach and sunbath for a bit, not look like prey and wait until most of them leave. I also don't hold metal rods in thunderstorms since we don't have sharks here in Lake Michigan. At least I hope not.

D

digum smacks

people dont realize sharks 99%of the time dont eat people.the shark bit the man, not ate the man,he died from bleeding,you bleed out real fast in the water.he was so far out couldnt make it to shore before he bled to death.if he could have slowed the bleeding he would still be here.but its kind of hard to do in panic

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
These kite boards are very small and very fast. A shark on the hunt will hit a fast small moving object without knowing what it is. This kite boarder was bitten on his rear end and thigh area. He most likely was moving fast and skimming the water. The bite to his thigh severed his femoral artery and he died of blood loss at the hospital.

Prayers to his Friends and family.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
MT Pockets said:
I read somewhere that they are sensitive to the low frequencies..

here's a mythbusters account of divers using flashlights..

During a nighttime dive, flashlights will attract sharks.

confirmed

This myth is based on the idea that the electromagnetic field created by flashlights may attract sharks. The Mythbusters first performed a control dive to see how many sharks appeared at night when they dove without flashlights. When they tried diving with flashlights, significantly more sharks appeared in a shorter amount of time and the sharks behaved more aggressively toward the flashlights.

Diver_Down said:
MT Pockets said:

I would be very interested in reading published studies on the effects of EMFs, frequency, and whether it is proven to attract or deter sharks. I am aware of their biology and the the ability to detect electromagnetic pulses with the the Amupullae of Lorenzini. I would like to know of what research has been done with varying frequencies with regards to attraction and avoidance. There used to be a product called Shark Pod, but the technology has since been ceded to Shark Shield. http://www.sharkshield.com/Content/FAQ/

But wasn't there also a Mythbusters episode where they put magnets in the water and the sharks would not cross over them? So sharks can definitely sense magnetic fields. The question is whether or not you are better off with a detector in your hand. On one hand the EM of the detector could attract sharks that wouldn't normally approach you. On the other hand they are likely to be repelled by it if you point it at them.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jb7487 said:
MT Pockets said:
I read somewhere that they are sensitive to the low frequencies..

here's a mythbusters account of divers using flashlights..

During a nighttime dive, flashlights will attract sharks.

confirmed

This myth is based on the idea that the electromagnetic field created by flashlights may attract sharks. The Mythbusters first performed a control dive to see how many sharks appeared at night when they dove without flashlights. When they tried diving with flashlights, significantly more sharks appeared in a shorter amount of time and the sharks behaved more aggressively toward the flashlights.

Diver_Down said:
MT Pockets said:

But wasn't there also a Mythbusters episode where they put magnets in the water and the sharks would not cross over them? So sharks can definitely sense magnetic fields. The question is whether or not you are better off with a detector in your hand. On one hand the EM of the detector could attract sharks that wouldn't normally approach you. On the other hand they are likely to be repelled by it if you point it at them.

It will be pointed at them...as I try to cram it down it's throat on the way out of the water.................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread