What's new

King George II

Eagle101

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
396
Reaction score
832
Golden Thread
2
Location
New England
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out yesterday morning for a couple of hours. I had a great time(like every time out). Within 5 minutes in a field I found a half cut copper. I believe a KG. So it was a good start. All in all I managed to find 2 buttons, a King George II coin, a half copper and a British musket ball. Not a bad day:)
 

Attachments

  • 1448189602168.webp
    1448189602168.webp
    62.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 1448189620226.webp
    1448189620226.webp
    95.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 1448189632304.webp
    1448189632304.webp
    94.8 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 22
Great hunt. It would be cool if you could get a date off that KGII.
 
I know. I'm sure over time and countless hours of looking at it I'll find it..
 
Congratulations. I'd take that type of day anytime:thumbsup:
 
Your KG II and friends deserve more than two replies .

Good hunt and a return visit to that site would be worthwhile indeed............
 
Congratz on a good hunt!
 
Your KG II and friends deserve more than two replies .

Good hunt and a return visit to that site would be worthwhile indeed............

I'll second that. Nice hunt! Eagle, I haven't looked at your old posts, but do you do any restoration on your old coppers? It looks like the KGII may have some detail that a nice hydrogen peroxide bath would reveal.

Cheers
 
Always a thrill to dig one of those old coppers!
 
I'll second that. Nice hunt! Eagle, I haven't looked at your old posts, but do you do any restoration on your old coppers? It looks like the KGII may have some detail that a nice hydrogen peroxide bath would reveal.

Cheers

I've never done that to an old copper. How do you go about doing it??
 
Hey Eagle

Here is Don from SJ's great old post on this process, which was how I was introduced to it about 5 months ago. You can experiment and fine tune on not-too-valuable coppers. Lately I've tended to alternate a peroxide bath with q-tips to really clean them up.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/22115-cleaning-large-cents.html

And here is an example of a thread of mine where I tried to show the results over a couple of days working on some state coppers:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...n-new-jersey-coppers-buttons-barber-dime.html

Cheers, PM me if I can help. I'm not as experienced as most of the longer-term folks here, but would be happy to be of assistance.

Ken
 
I'm happy you recovered that beauty. Much longer and she would have lost all detail. That said I would NOT touch it with peroxide or water. Dry clean it only and use a little wax. That flaking in the middle of the king is a dead giveaway the surface details are hanging by a thread.

Great find
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom