Kitchen Drawer Find

Peeber

Mar 18, 2009
Indiana
This was found in my wife's Grandmother's kitchen drawer in central Indiana. What was this used for and how collectable is it? What timeframe?

The arrow head was found in northern Indiana near what may be mounds.

Attachments

• 100_0404.JPG
    100_0404.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 306
  • 100_0406.JPG
    100_0406.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 308
Upvote 0

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
very collectable gorget, a type of ornament, time frame on them is from the archaic all the way to ft ancient,is it drilled from both sides or from one side only

it is more than likely a woodland piece ,either adena or hopewell

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gorget/pendant. Is the material kinda soft. Looks similiar to some soap stone types we find here.
Great drawer finds.
TnMtns

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
wish i could find stuff like that in my kitchen!that is a gorget,and a pretty nice one at that,other than the damaged corner.probably made in the woodland period,1000-3000 years old.thx for sharing your kitchen find :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Peeber

Peeber

Mar 18, 2009
Indiana
jeff a said:
very collectable gorget, a type of ornament, time frame on them is from the archaic all the way to ft ancient,is it drilled from both sides or from one side only

it is more than likely a woodland piece ,either adena or hopewell

Yep, it is drilled from both sides. it is like one hole was started and then flipped over and finished , then the 2nd hole was started and then flipped over again and finished.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
No one really knows, but if you look at some of the early Spanish drawings of the Southeast inidans they were wearing shell gorgets in their hair.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread