your guess is as good as mine

M

mickey

pictured are 3 hardstone pieces that i found on the same site. i did not think much of the 1st one i found. i did not even record it as an artifact. i did not think much of the 2nd one i found. i thought it was only coincidence that it was the exact same size as the first one. when i found the 3rd one, i began to wonder a little. it was the exact same size as the 1st and 2nd pieces. all three were made of hardstone and do not really show any sign of workmanship. they all seem a little waterworn. maybe it's just me, but i am going to be keeping my eyes open on this site and future sites for pieces like these. i am not implying that they are artifacts, and i have never read anything in any book about anything even close to pieces like these being used for possible "game pieces". i would like to know if anyone out there may have found similar stones on their sites. i have been collecting for over 20 years, and i know an artifact when i see one, but these pieces have me stumped. any thoughts? ps., the sizes of the pieces are 4 1/2cm high, 3 1/2cm wide, and 1 1/2cm thick.

Attachments

• hardstone pieces.jpg
    hardstone pieces.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 536
Upvote 0

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Pretty interesting. I would have wondered about them too, a little too many for a coincidence. Do you know any of the history of the area? The fact that they don't show any "work" is kinda strange too. I am not saying they are any type of artifact either without some kinda proof but nature doesn't seem to make identical objects.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Maybe those folks saw something spiritual, or otherwise special about them and collected them much the same as we do now.

In my mind, I see this one person saving them and another person says......"what are you saving those for?" The person says......"I don't know, there kinda neat, maybe I will find a use for them someday" ;D

I just came up with a use for them! If you were to wrap them in pieces if animal skins and attached them to a length of cord, you could make a nice bolo out of them, for hunting small animals. ??? :icon_profileleft:

Interesting!

HH

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I find something very similar. These stones while not being the same size, are all the same shape. They have been pecked and polished and were all found on the same site.
DSCN1538.jpg

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here are some of these same type that I have picked up
these show use on most and some are highly polished
they did not get to the field by themselves, they were brought there by Indians
I find so many of these that I don't even pick them up any more
I wish I knew all the uses for these things
as you say your guess is as good as mine

Attachments

• 100_4625.jpg
    100_4625.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 480
  • 100_4627.jpg
    100_4627.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 494

RockyHomestead

Mar 17, 2009
Sandy Ridge NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Could they possibly be Grindstones(pic below) or hammerstones used to hammer tent stakes,etc. Looking thru a book and online maybe a gamestone

Attachments

• game-stone.jpg
    game-stone.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 462
  • grinding-stone.jpg
    grinding-stone.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 477
OP
OP
M

mickey

good observation meinwv. they are probably water worn stones that caught the eye of someone. it just occurred to me that i have pretty, water worn rocks on my mantlepiece. maybe modern man and prehistoric indians do have something in common. ps i have pictured my one and only bola weight from lorain county ohio. it is made of sandstone.

Attachments

• bola weight lorain county ohio.jpg
    bola weight lorain county ohio.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 456

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
In my opinion they are artifacts for they were carried to campsites. I always thought the small round ones were for small game like birds or rabbit. Slings could've been used but I don't think there is any evidence of that. Some are flint that never got used, some hammers,and I think some heating rocks. Around here 95% of our fire cracked rocks are quartz. Most pieces have river polished rind still visible.

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Here in Vermont the fields are full of smooth round and oval rocks we call worry stones. Alot of them look and feel polished. Most are geofacts but there are some that have been put into use. Ive probably picked up a truck load but only about eight of them appear to have been used by indians. Without wear marks from grinding ,hammering or shaping these stones usually go right back where they came from if not I would have to rent a wharehouse to store them all.

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Not an expert here but here are my thoughts...

Since these were found in a site that is known to have been inhabited by stone age people I consider them atrifacts. Stone age people were very much in tune to any rock, or bone or stick for that matter, they found that could be used for something at some time. I imagine they stockpiled materials such as chert, bone, and hardstone for future use. Anytime I find a rock that seems to be out of place I assume it was carried there for a purpose and even though it may not show signs of wear I still consider it an artifact because someone found value in keeping it. As far as polish on the rocks goes a lot of that can be from handling or from years laying in a creek bed being rolled around in creek sand for years and years before it was picked up and carried to camp.

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
SoIll said:
irbaddadjoe said:
I found a couple dozen and they all have a hole drilled in the ends.
Man I'd like to see a better pic of the drilled ones.
Never have been really Id 'd

Attachments

• eggs2.jpg
    eggs2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 231
  • egg5.jpg
    egg5.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 226
  • egg4.jpg
    egg4.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 246
  • egg3.jpg
    egg3.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 237
  • eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 242
  • eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 241
  • eggs2.jpg
    eggs2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 234
  • egg3.jpg
    egg3.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 230
  • egg4.jpg
    egg4.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 226
  • egg5.jpg
    egg5.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 228

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
irbaddadjoe...Were all those found at the same site? Those are very interesting. Maybe someone was making a necklace?
Randy

irbaddadjoe

Sep 9, 2006
Bridgeport, Texas
Yes they were all found laying not far from each other in a wash. There were probably 25 or so. Ive loaned a few out over the years . I took them to the museum of science and history and they had never seen anything like them and thought they were unique. Some are quartz and some look like fossilized eggs . Im thinking they are something along the lines of this post. A game stone or a sinker. ?? As far as necklace. They arent drilled all the way through.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you would shape wet rawhide around a round stone and let it shrink and dry, then use that for a rattle. In the later days, you used a round stone for tying a teepee down. You would put it in the cover and wrap a string around it and tie the string to a stake. (I hope you can visualize that) I don't know about the ones with partially drilled holes.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
those look really rare and SPECIAL
I hope we can figure out what these are
they need to be identified for sure

Top Member Reactions