Knife? Hammerstone? 2 new specimens.

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for any guidance you can provide. These two artifacts were found in the Syracuse NY/Onondaga Lake area. Is 'hammerstone' the proper terminology for the one specimen? Or 'pebble hammerstone'? I would say it shows flaking from repeated percussive blows...but that's just my guess. And 'Knife' for the other? This 'knife' is obviously a different stone than most of the points in this collection.....which I think are Onondaga gray flint.
hammer1.jpg
hammer2.jpg
hammer3.jpg
hammer4.jpg
knife1.jpg
knife2.jpg

Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hammerstone is a nice'un.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Many of the hammerstone I find in Indiana are often round with many peck marks on them.

That could be a preform. A relic in the manufacture stage prior to completion.

I have found many round-ish disk made from slate which have flaking scars. These are about the same size as that at 1.5 inchs. The slate is too soft of a material to be used as a hammerstone. They just lack the polish and drilling to be a small pendent or gorget.

Here is a frame with a few of these items.
In the frame, the tow center items are also preforms. The slate a gorget preform I believe and the white blade is a made of hixton silicified sandstone most often found in the Wisconsin region. I found this in Indiana.

20170618_185407_disk.jpg
20170120_163835_resized.jpg

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Dognose,

Those crude slate disks are unique finds. (Not the prettiest items out there, but good to see artifacts from home.) They typically come from a handful of counties along the Indiana/Ohio border on the Indiana side, and extend bit further into Ohio.

Some were preforms, but the round ones appear to have just been made and left as is. (They don't match any common gorgets or pendants, not much use polish if they were used as knives or scrapers, and seem to be too soft for a lot of tool use.) One idea is that they could have been a local variant of a discoidal game stone.

Joshua

Many of the hammerstone I find in Indiana are often round with many peck marks on them.

That could be a preform. A relic in the manufacture stage prior to completion.

I have found many round-ish disk made from slate which have flaking scars. These are about the same size as that at 1.5 inchs. The slate is too soft of a material to be used as a hammerstone. They just lack the polish and drilling to be a small pendent or gorget.

Here is a frame with a few of these items.
In the frame, the tow center items are also preforms. The slate a gorget preform I believe and the white blade is a made of hixton silicified sandstone most often found in the Wisconsin region. I found this in Indiana.

View attachment 1521031
View attachment 1521037

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think you nailed it and welcome to the site

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sure appreciate all of your positive comments and information based on extensive experience. But to be clear....and honest..., I did not find these items. I am a beginner who has become the caretaker of a collection of unidentified, unlabeled artifacts from Central NY, so I am sure I will be back with more questions! I am so excited to be learning more and more about our precious prehistory.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure appreciate all of your positive comments and information based on extensive experience. But to be clear....and honest..., I did not find these items. I am a beginner who has become the caretaker of a collection of unidentified, unlabeled artifacts from Central NY, so I am sure I will be back with more questions! I am so excited to be learning more and more about our precious prehistory.

Show us some more! We'd love to see your collection here!

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Show us some more! We'd love to see your collection here!

Using William Ritchie's "Typography and Nomenclature of New York Projectile Points"...here are some of my first identifications. I have to say, most of these fit Ritchie's descriptions and photos very, very well. (exception: Bannerstone: I really have no idea about this piece other than it is really cool.) Would appreciate any feedback.

Also, I am truly humbled by their beauty.
Bannerstone 2.jpg
Brewerton Corner Notched.jpg
Brewerton Side Notched.jpg
Genesee.jpg
Jack's Reef Corner Notched.jpg
Jack'sReef Pentagonal.jpg
Lamoka.jpg
Steubenville Lanceolate1.jpg
Susquehanna Broadpoint.jpg
Levanna.jpg

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a nice collection! Thanks for showing/asking/ and generally joining the crew here ;) Looking forward to more posts of the collections- cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread