What's new

Knife?

recondigger

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2012
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
902
Golden Thread
1
Location
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one yesterday and when it was sticking out of the dirt I thought it was a genesee point but the other side wasn't notched. It was found in western NY about an hour south of rochester. I have a couple theories one is I think it could be a knife blade or two it was going to be a genesee point and wasn't going to work out right and was discarded. What do you guys think about it? Thank you for looking. Dig until your arm falls off
 

Attachments

  • image-2436547316.webp
    image-2436547316.webp
    119.9 KB · Views: 109
  • image-194380212.webp
    image-194380212.webp
    126.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image-1332443317.webp
    image-1332443317.webp
    79 KB · Views: 100
  • image-4070564640.webp
    image-4070564640.webp
    82.6 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1593016309.webp
    image-1593016309.webp
    68.6 KB · Views: 129
  • image-3590669008.webp
    image-3590669008.webp
    74.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It kinda looks like a Genesee or Neville that didn't work out, but was still used- and re-sharpened. It's heavy-duty (there's actually a point style up there called a Heavy Duty, but it's narrower than your's, but I digress) and I wouldn't imagine it was discarded, but still used as a knife. It wanted to have a real stem, and it's got those wanna-be barbs/extrusions, but the material didn't cooperate. You can see the (I hope I'm using the right terminology) platforms- or are they hinges?- (and lithic flaws) in your pics. And... given its current state, I don't think we can really assume any real 'name', but perhaps a hypothetical guess, given the more common point types in your area and the lithics and technologies associated with them. I may be wrong, but wouldn't a Genee point be used as a knife blade anyway?
Interesting find, no matter what. HH! Yak
 
Thank you for your comments and thoughts. I know it's not possible to always be able to say for sure what something was. But that to me is a small part of the fun. Hey it's still over 1000 years old and I was the first to touch it in a long time

Dig until your arm falls off
 
Nice tool/ point. I like the color of it
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom