Knights' Gold . . . 5,000 Gold Coins . . . Largest KGC Treasure Ever Discovered

He is too busy correcting other posters on threads to actually address the presented topic.
Must be a "personal" thing with him.

Rebel . . . the book is mostly about the big KGC gold cache in Baltimore discovered in 1934. That discovery was very well documented as the coins were part of a civil case to determine rightful ownership. However, Knights' Gold also delves into the mystery surrounding the disappearance of the Danville silver, the 9,000 pounds of Mexican silver pesos that went missing from the train out of Richmond in April, 1865. I explain that the sentinel for those coins was Confederate Secret Service agent George Kane. I believe the coins were moved after 1869 . . . probably out to a much more secure location. My educated guess for a lot of the Confederate treasure is that it was moved in 1880 to Victorio Peak, New Mexico and discovered by Doc Noss in 1937. Knights' Gold explains my reasoning.

ECS:

You ask me to explain in order to prove your point. Since your statement is factually incorrect I can't.

Who is trying to revise history?

Recognition of the Confederacy - 1861-1865
Introduction

One of the most important victories won by the United States during the Civil War was not ever fought on a battlefield. Rather, it was a series of diplomatic victories that ensured that the Confederacy would fail to achieve diplomatic recognition by even a single foreign government. Although this success can be attributed to the skill of Northern diplomats, the anti-slavery sentiments of the European populace, and European diversion to crises in Poland and Denmark, the most important factor stills rises from the battlefields on American soil. The Confederate states were incapable of winning enough consecutive victories to convince European governments that they could sustain independence.

https://history.state.gov/milestones...65/confederacy

All you need to do is post links to the diplomatic recognition by England and France. Such events, of course, would have next resulted in a declaration of war, so I think you're going to struggle to find the evidence.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

"One of the most important victories won by the " United States" during the Civil War".........just let that soak in for a minute while I search for my hip waders! LMAO!
. :laughing7:

"One of the most important victories won by the " United States" during the Civil War".........just let that soak in for a minute while I search for my hip waders! LMAO!
. :laughing7:

I believe you will need a tank or two of oxygen and wet suit. Maybe a submarine would be better or the whole 7th Fleet.

I haven't speculated on motivations. I've confined myself to the fact of the matter...

I am fully prepared to make judgments on actions such as beating to death captured wounded soldiers. It's wrong. Period. Ce n'est pas la guerre.

Was it wrong for Union Gen Phil Sheridan's troops to execute captured and surrendered Confederates in 1864 in Northern Virginia?
That ended after CSA Major John S Mosby's letter to Sheridan stating that if the Union kept executing POWs he would respond in kind.
Do you have a judgement on these Union actions, or do you only pass judgement on the CSA?

Nope.

I posted - and you quoted - "I am fully prepared to make judgments on actions such as beating to death captured wounded soldiers. It's wrong. Period.Ce n'est pas la guerre."

I think that's a pretty simple statement. What do you find confusing or difficult about it?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Does your statement apply to the Union, or are you only passing judgement on those of the Confederacy?
Many of your posts do bear a prejudice towards the Confederacy and the South.

On another thread you stated:
"William Sherman was a military genius who fully understood the concept of Modern War".

A war he conducted upon old men, women, and children CIVILIANS in Georgia and South Carolina, which in MODERN times would be considered as war crimes.
While the after heat of the battle retaliation at Olustee was barbaric, it was against enemy soldier combatants, NOT civilians, in the heat of the moment.
Sheridan's troops execution of captured Confederate soldiers, and Sherman's scorched earth loot and raid across Georgia and South Carolina was methodical and planned as an acceptable coarse of action to defeat the South.
It doesn't take a genius, Old Bookaroo, to understand the difference between a deliberate action or one created by the actions of the heat of the moment.
In the words of US Gen William T Sherman: "War is hell", and an old Southern saying, " So are paybacks".

Last edited:
Many of your posts do bear a prejudice towards the Union and the United States of America, favoring the Confederacy and the "Lost Cause" with a failed romantic air and something noble about never surrendering.

Personally, I'm glad we are one nation with a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. United.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Many of your posts do bear a prejudice towards the Union and the United States of America, favoring the Confederacy and the "Lost Cause" with a failed romantic air and something noble about never surrendering.
Personally, I'm glad we are one nation with a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. United.

The end justifies the means is the rationalization employed when one wants to ignore or deny actions that achieved those ends.
I reckon in your opinion, the Union imposed occupation called Reconstruction was also a "romantic and something noble" a time in the South.

It was only called the "Lost Cause" by the Yanks. The winning team knew what they were doing with that lottery money etc. it was just one of these .<-----------

Lost Cause of the Confederacy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Lost Cause is a set of beliefs common in the white American South in the late 19th and early 20th century that describes the Confederate cause as a heroic one against great odds despite its defeat. The beliefs endorse the virtues of the antebellum South, viewing the American Civil War as an honorable struggle for the Southern way of life,[SUP][1][/SUP] while minimizing or denying the central role of slavery. While it was not taught in the North, aspects of it did win acceptance there and helped the process of reunifying American whites.

Yale Professor Roland Osterweis summarizes the content that pervaded "Lost Cause" writings:

The Legend of the Lost Cause began as mostly a literary expression of the despair of a bitter, defeated people over a lost identity. It was a landscape dotted with figures drawn mainly out of the past: the chivalric planter; the magnolia-scented Southern belle; the good, gray Confederate veteran, once a knight of the field and saddle; and obliging old Uncle Remus. All these, while quickly enveloped in a golden haze, became very real to the people of the South, who found the symbols useful in the reconstituting of their shattered civilization. They perpetuated the ideals of the Old South and brought a sense of comfort to the New.[SUP][2]
[/SUP]
The Lost Cause belief system synthesized numerous ideas into a coherent package. The Lost Cause supporters did not claim that slavery was the main cause of the Civil War – very few scholars did before the 1950s. Instead they stressed secession as a defense against a Northern threat to their way of life and said that threat violated the states' rights guaranteed by the Union. They believed any state had the right to secede, a point strongly denied by the North. The Lost Cause portrayed the South as more profoundly Christian than the greedy North. It portrayed the slavery system as more benevolent than cruel, emphasizing that it taught Christianity and civilization. In explaining Confederate defeat, the Lost Cause said the main factor was not qualitative inferiority in leadership or fighting ability but the massive quantitative superiority of the Yankee industrial machine.[SUP][3][/SUP]

Historians, including Gaines Foster, generally agree that the Lost Cause narrative also "helped preserve white supremacy". Most scholars who have studied the white South's memory of the Civil War or the Old South conclude that both portrayed a past society in which whites were in charge and blacks faithful and subservient."[SUP][4][/SUP] Supporters typically portray the Confederacy's cause as noble and its leadership as exemplars of old-fashioned chivalry and honor, defeated by the Unionarmies through numerical and industrial force that overwhelmed the South's superior military skill and courage. Proponents of the Lost Cause movement also condemned the Reconstruction that followed the Civil War, claiming that it had been a deliberate attempt by Northern politicians and speculators to destroy the traditional Southern way of life. In recent decades Lost Cause themes have been widely promoted by the Neo-Confederate movement in books and op-eds, and especially in one of the movement's magazines, the Southern Partisan. The Lost Cause theme has been a major element in defining gender roles in the white South, in terms of honor, tradition, and family roles.[SUP][5][/SUP] The Lost Cause has inspired many prominent Southern memorials and even religious attitudes.[SUP][6][/SUP]

History

The term Lost Cause first appeared in the title of an 1866 book by the historian Edward A. Pollard, The Lost Cause: A New Southern History of the War of the Confederates.[SUP][8][/SUP] However, it was the articles written by General Jubal A. Early in the 1870s for the Southern Historical Society that firmly established the Lost Cause as a long-lasting literary and cultural phenomenon. The 1881 publication of The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government by Jefferson Davis, a two-volume defense of the Southern cause, provided another important text in the history of the Lost Cause. Davis blamed the enemy for "whatever of bloodshed, of devastation, or shock to republican government has resulted from the war." He charged that the Yankees fought "with a ferocity that disregarded all the laws of civilized warfare." The book remained in print and was often used to justify the Southern position and to distance it from slavery.[SUP][9][/SUP]

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Great job repeating the same bull sh t that has been written for you to believe. You are 100% correct and ByGod you have the proof to back it up. WAY TO GO! BUCKY!!!

L.C.:notworthy:

Food for thought. ed.jpg

The Lost Cause supporters did not claim that slavery was the main cause of the Civil War – very few scholars did before the 1950s. Instead they stressed secession as a defense against a Northern threat to their way of life and said that threat violated the states' rights guaranteed by the Union. They believed any state had the right to secede, a point strongly denied by the North. The Lost Cause portrayed the South as more profoundly Christian than the greedy North. It portrayed the slavery system as more benevolent than cruel, emphasizing that it taught Christianity and civilization...
Old Bookaroo, when the Confederacy succeeded from the Union, was slavery legal in the United States ?
A simple yes or no will suffice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back