Knights Templar Help

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was also posted on Todays finds but no one could offer any help. This is a Brass Belt plate I found near Iowa City, IA at an old farm house. As you can see it says Knights Templar near the top and says IN HOC SIGNO VINCES near the bottom. you can see where I scratched it on the back retrieving it. Any information on this would be appreciated, I have searched the internet and can't find anything like it.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 060407 009.jpg
    060407 009.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 852
  • belt1.jpg
    belt1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 916
  • 060407 009.jpg
    060407 009.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 758
  • belt2.jpg
    belt2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 722
  • belt1.jpg
    belt1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 576

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"in this sign you will conquer" is the motto. Thats all I can add.

Upvote 0

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Outback:

The Knights Templar is an active organization within the Royal Arch mason of Freemasonry. I checked their website looking for medallions, etc. but didn't have the time right now to do it well.

Here's the link to their website and there's a "request for info" spot you may wish to try.

http://www.knightstemplar.org/index.html

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry I am of no help what so ever, but I just wanted to say congrats that is one cool find!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, I can't believe this artifact can't be dated or found anywhere? I have Emailed 2 different Knights Templar organizations but still no response. I will post any responses or information that I get on here.

Thanks again for looking!

OBD

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to be a ceremonial buckle to a sword sash or belt. It even could be from a sholder strap, but I think more likely a buckle.I have seen Knights of Pithias uniform items that look similar. At one time they were chrome plated and enameled. Probably from the early 1900's. Possibly a little earlier..Similar to what is referenced in above replies..

DG

Upvote 0

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Outback,

Maybe that's why I couldn't find any thing...I'm not a member of that "society"....I'm a Scottish Rite Mason. I'll send your pics to a fellow I know is one and see what he says.

Sorry for sending you on a "wild goose chase"

Upvote 0

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Outback,

Here's what I got back from my friend who is in the Knights Templar; nothing definitive though.

I’m inclined to go with the belt buckle, possibly a sword belt, because the area on the right in this picture indicates the loop where the belt went. The area that appears to be hollow is probably where the hook was attached and was broken off. It is probably made of cast brass with a back (with hook) and belt loop brazed to it. Iowa has a large contingency of KT. However, with very much overhang, the points on the top could be painful to a corn fed man.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wesfrye53, Thanks for the great information and thank your friend also. Just so there is no misunderstanding, this item is complete and not broken. I have taken better pictures of the back of this so you can see that it is complete.

Thanks again for the info!

Attachments

• belt4.jpg
    belt4.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 601
  • belt3.jpg
    belt3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 623
Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wesfrye53 said:
Outback,

Here's what I got back from my friend who is in the Knights Templar; nothing definitive though.

I’m inclined to go with the belt buckle, possibly a sword belt, because the area on the right in this picture indicates the loop where the belt went. The area that appears to be hollow is probably where the hook was attached and was broken off. It is probably made of cast brass with a back (with hook) and belt loop brazed to it. Iowa has a large contingency of KT. However, with very much overhang, the points on the top could be painful to a corn fed man.

Sword belt buckle.
DG

Upvote 0

kiddrock33

Jun 14, 2003
Massachusetts
ill be at the local masons lodge tommorrow night ill ask a few older members about it. ill look through the old sword belts to see if it matches any of them there is stuff in the lodge that dates to the 1700's. kiddrock33

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after researching and asking questions for 3 days now I think I am going to come to the conclusion that this piece is VERY RARE! No one can show me a picture of anything like it. I have emailed the Knights Templar (2 different individuals) with pictures and have not gotten any responses. I have also posted it on 2 other Forums dealing with relics and only response is that it is a cross over sword belt hook but still no one has ever seen anything similar to it. If anyone has any other ideas or a picture of something similar I would be very interested. For the time being I will get a small display case for it and set it up on display with all my other treasures. Thanks for all the responses and for taking the time to help me research this.

OBD

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's your buckle - almost... Yours looks like an older version.

See if yours is marked Pettibone Mfg. Co. Cincinnati, OH. They were a well known maker of military and society swords from the 1870's into the 1920's.

7715681053.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DCMatt, My wife came up with that same picture last night, she thought for sure she had found it. Once I looked at it side by side we noticed the differences. Mine doesn't have any kind of manufacturer stamp on it so I don't know where it came from. I may try to contact Pettibone Mfg to see if they can date it.

Thanks!

here are the pictures side by side for comparison.

Attachments

• belt2.jpg
    belt2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 505
  • belt2.jpg
    belt2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 408
  • belt6.jpg
    belt6.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 434
Upvote 0

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
To all the non masonic members of the forum. Masonry is not a secret society. otherwise there would not be signs rings flags etc. Masonry is a society with secrets ! Men of good repute are welcome to petition to join. G.R. Holton PM/2 Napoleon 301, Napoleon MI

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonesomebob said:
To all the non masonic members of the forum. Masonry is not a secret society. otherwise there would not be signs rings flags etc. Masonry is a society with secrets ! Men of good repute are welcome to petition to join. G.R. Holton PM/2 Napoleon 301, Napoleon MI

True

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions