Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Above you in Custer , AGATE near the City of Challis

VALLEY? ?& ADA? may have Differnt Gems & Minerals also.

and of Course ADAMS has Garnet and Epidote

Cant find anything on BOISE COUNTY on Gems & Minerals

Upvote 0

Naturelady

Greenie
Nov 14, 2005
Columbia Gorge, Washington
I'm in Boise area - just south of. Email me and let me know what you are looking for and I'll tell you where it is -

I LOVE Challis - I have a secret little spot up there off the maps and bring back some of the most incredible, unique agates you have ever seen from the spot - but always looking for more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

josh

Mar 12, 2005
Re:Naturelady

Dear Naturelady,
This is Josh. You replied to a post i posted o treasurenet. First off i want to thank you for replying, and second, at least for now, i am intrested in places around Boise to find rocks with any kind of intresting attributes. For now i am unable to travel very far due to parental restrictions, but in the future..... I was also hoping, (if you're willing to share) to inquire the whereabouts of the place near Challis for future excursions. Thank's again.
Josh

Upvote 0

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
for further excerstions try virgin valley nv....lots of pay to dig sites for fire opal......well worth your time.....they make a book about the gems of the west with locations and types...cant remember the name or the publisher right now but i will see what i can do to find it for ya.
ooo ya another place to look for not only rocks but artifacts as well would be the owayee desert...knew a guy that had an opal stash out there once.....
any old mine tailings is another possibility.....lots of specimans from down deep......
good luck and i will see what i can scrape up.
lgp

Upvote 0

Naturelady

Greenie
Nov 14, 2005
Columbia Gorge, Washington
Sorry about the Delay Josh -- got busy with my own club - actually got to meet one and go on a field trip just before the ground froze.

Parents, ha, can't live with em, con't live without em. Now, you don't say whether you can drive or not so I'm not sure how far you can get -- But Pearl is just north of Boise, and south of Emmett. It used to be a mining area and is now Gohost town - you basically have to watch for it -- only a few buildings left. Now this area has been known to produce some Kewl geodes and thundereggs. You will want to go in spring before it gets hot. It can get over 100 real quick there and whether you've been out hunting in that heat or not -- it really sucks, takes gallons of water and unless you can get some shade now and again it'll make you sick real fast. Now if you are allowed as far as Emmett - go to the dam and where the hills are just to the left (North) of the road people find fire opal (small but nice fire). About 20 miles NW of Boise -- on Willow Creek you can get some fine jaspers in outrageous patterns and colors -- at the west end and on the North Side of Eagle Box canyon the jasper is really good gem qualiity. -- If it's not privately owned these days. Even if it is, you can always ask to hunt there. Most people out here are pretty nice about letting people hunt on their land -- especially since you are young enough to have "parential restrictions" -- people are very helpful in keeping youth occupied in healthy hobbies and off the streets, so use it to your advantage, lol.

Hope that gives you some tips that you can actually get to.

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
Hi Naturelady:

Gabbit (member of this forum also) and I went to Pearl about 3 weeks ago. Nothing left of the town other than some foundations.

Have never hunted for rocks. Whereabouts do you look and what type of digging must you do?

I'm in Meridian.

Thank you,

Tony

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread