rock-2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,145

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Could be but need more information.. It has a broken botryoidal character I have seen in some Mid-west geodes. However. mineral ID is always difficult from photos. Where was it found? Have you tested the interior with HCL to see if calcite. Calcite is soft(3) and will not acratch a knife whereas quartz(7) will. You need a diamond rock saw to cut it. A rock hound club or a rock shop will have one(May cost you a few bucks). The lower(white) geode is from the Mid-West while the large cut and polished geode is? from Brazil.

George

Attachments

• DSCN0046.JPG
    DSCN0046.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,343
Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was dug out of a creek bank in Tn. last year. I haven't tested it for hardness.The wet saw i'm referring to has a diamond blade and is used to cut marble tile and sometimes granite.Blade should be fine for that,I would think?

Upvote 0

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
diggemup,

those nodules those me for a loop, the geodes I've seen are general spherical or oblong. and relative concrete grained surface.

It appears it may be a fossil, you may want to check with your state geologist or paleontologists.

Upvote 0

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
My location is Tn. I picked up a geode here today,it looks like the picture you posted.Every Tn.
geode that I have opened contains calcite.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
A

Aerosmithy

i have seen a geode "like" this before only it was cut as most geodes on diplay are
but from the sound of it you might have a geode
i don't think its a fossil if it has a quartz like material inside

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread