Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
fisher 1220x,gc-1023,tesoro tejon , fisher f-2, compass yukon 77b, tesoro bandito 11 umax
kunson 65-66 it gets cold there too. out the back gate and on a hill there, a caved in bunker, i hd no m/d at tht time

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
IWAS THEIR IN 68,COLD,HOT,MALARAY,MONSOONS,CLAP,AND PLENTY OF PARTY GIRLS TO GO AROUND.

MSgtUSAF

Mar 8, 2006
Be prepared to wear your mopp gear at least once a month, Due to Kunsan being a remote, they have a lot of exercises. They have a shuttle service to A-Town, the local club area, was about 12 clubs in late 90's. The NCO club is decent, The dining facility was one of the best I had eaten in food wise, Nice golf course. Theirs a daily shuttle to Osan for shopping. If your an E-6 or above, ship a POV if you can, nothing nice just reliable, it was nice to be able to get around and not rely on the bus system, plus Korea is a very pretty country and there's a lot to see, I did 5 tours there between 85 and 98, if you have specific question, PM me and I try and answer.

Msgt

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
ghostdog said:
IWAS THEIR IN 68,COLD,HOT,MALARAY,MONSOONS,CLAP,AND PLENTY OF PARTY GIRLS TO GO AROUND.

I think they took care of the malaria... the rest is still the same. LMAO

she may look clean pic.JPG

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny stuff! Jim ,they canned the E6 can get a POV a few years ago. Some TSgt tied one on and hit somebody is what I heard. It's a real bummer because I just put on TSgt. Do you think it would be worth getting a water machine and hunting the beaches there? It looks like crack badger did well in Korea on one of his trips.

MSgtUSAF

Mar 8, 2006
If I am not mistaken, the beaches on Kunsan are off limits. The ROK patrols them and they are supposed to be mined. Unless the have changed the rule, there's a 12 mile exclusion zone from the main gate where US personnel are off limits, (there's a reason for this I won't go into here) which is why A-town is 12 miles from the base. Without a POV it will be hard getting to detecting areas, but if you can hook up with someone or a local, there's mountains and old battle sites just begging to be worked. Be live it or not, I have heard that the "Bar girls" are now mainly Filipino and Russian imports. Kunsan has always been a "Work hard, Party hard" base and a 1 year tour fly's by. Good luck and enjoy yourself while your there.

MSgt

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks MSgt,I have a hunting partner lined up but he lives around Osan. Ifigure I could take the bus over once or twice a month for some hours of hunting.I am looking foward to seeing Korea for sure. I will have a good time just having four seasons again. Here at Minot you have about 8 months of winter and 4 months of spring ,summer and then fall.

Ammietuar

Sep 18, 2005
Suffolk UK
Detector(s) used
MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS
Well I almost wish I hadnt just left Kunsan, I was looking for a hunting partner for a while. I was there from Feb 08 to Feb 09 and TDY a few times before that. I absolutely never had any real problems detecting there, and going out almost every weekend I only saw 2 other people detecting that I didnt bring with me. The beaches were a blast there, I was averageing about 14,000 won in change a day with 2-3 rings/jewelry on the beaches. I would suggest any hiking trails you can find. Thats where I found my oldest coin from. The coins are really hard to identify, but I narrowed it down to 1650-1730. The only thing I did not like about detecting there, was that the Koreans were extremely/overly interested in what you were doing. If you go detecting on a beach, be prepared for them to constantly crowd you in wanting to see every find, ask you a million questions in Korean(even after you explain to them in Hangul and English that you dont understand), and even want to try your detector out. I would suggest the early mornings as best on the beaches, less people and alot less drunk people trying to show you how to MD with your own tools(yes it happened to me on more than one occasion). As far as the offlimits thing goes, its a 3 mile circle around the base. Its only offlimits if you are "stopping" such as in a store or someones house, it is still open to joggers, biking and walking. To get to any where I mostly biked or rode a bus, both were pretty cheap. When it came to MDing in Korea, I had a blast, hope you do too. If you got any other questions PM me! GL!

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds great ,I will shoot you a PM. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this old post, it has been a year and I am heading home on the 4th of Nov. :coffee2:

It has been a busy year. :P

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hot, cold an nothing out in the DMZ. USMC 1976,77, 78 out in some make-shift camp 10 miles from the DMZ with a 155 Battery. Plenty of Oscar, Sojou, and women of all types. Seoul was nice but you have to keep in mind the South and North are still at war. Everywhere you go you can see the military presence. People are nice and the ROK Marine's are pretty tough .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions