WW II Identification bracelet...

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
I just found this forum. Thought this link may interest some of you if you haven't already seen it.

Andie Rigney had posted a story in the Today's Finds forum about a World War II ID bracelet he had found. When I read his story I realized that I too had found one years ago but didn't know what it was until I read about his. So, I began researching who it belonged to.

Read through his post and you'll see where I commented about mine and near the bottom of the post you'll see how I was able to find the 87 year old soldier that it belonged to.

Here's the link: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,220346.0.html

This is the letter I sent with the bracelet:

Mr. Rigoli,

Enclosed is the World War II identification bracelet that belongs to you. It is my great pleasure to return this to you after it had been lost for so many years.

I found this with my metal detector many years ago. I believe I found it in a park in my hometown of Wayland. But, it may have been a surrounding town as well. It was a long time ago.

I recently saw another ID bracelet similar to yours on a metal detecting forum that I visit. I never knew what I had found until I read on this website that the 8 digit number referred to the soldier’s military serial number. I then went to a military website that contained a database of all enlisted men from World War II. I typed in the number from your bracelet and it showed that you enlisted in 1941 at Falmouth. It was then that I knew I had to return this to you or your family as I was certain that it would have great sentimental value.

It took some time researching on the internet and some letter writing. But, I was thrilled when we were finally able to speak on the phone and confirm that this was in fact your bracelet. It is clear that at some point the bracelet was re-sized to fit a child’s arm. I’m sure it was this child’s arm that the bracelet slipped off of and was lost so long ago. I hope that this being returned provides some joy to you and your family. It certainly was a joy for me to return it to you.

Finally, I would like to thank you for your service to our country in protecting the freedom and liberties that we enjoy today.

Sincerely,

Brian Locke

Brian in MA

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding thing you did for the man and his family! They were and are the greatest generation for sure! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread