Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son spent a year or so over near Seoul when he was in the ARMY about six years ago. At the time it was pretty much open for exploring, hiking, etc and he says all the older Koreans are friendly to GIs. Just before he left there was some protests and demonstrations and things got more restricted as to where they could go. The younger generation doesn't particularly take kindly to Americans it seems. Don't know what the clime is right now. A great many of the parks etc. are religious shrines and I don't imagine they would allow much digging, but there should be opportunities in rural areas. However, there are still some undetected mine fields that blows someone up every now and then and lots of unexploded ordnance. I would recommend you do some reading up on the history of the area to which you are being assigned and get a good Korean/English dictionary. There is always a military information office somewhere and they may have some suggestions. Ditto USO. I don't know how current my info is so don't rely too heavily on it. Monty

scuffler

Jul 23, 2007
I don't know anything about Korea, but I would like to say that you are a great man to serve your country like that, and a lot of us appreciate you for it.
You should be proud, may God bless you and your family.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
The was Post on here not to long ago called.... kick as...video shows some guys finding all kinds of jewelry on the beach I guess in Korea.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I'm not so sure about prospecting or detecting in the local area outside the post but here is something to think about while you are there: How long has the post been there? Most likely since 1955 until present which means GIs had been loosing silver coins there for at least 9 years (1955-1964). If you can secure written permission from the installation commander perhaps you could search on post and find plenty. You will need written permission to keep the MPs from trying to bust you and take your machine. Just something else to think about. I thought about this AFTER I left Germany.

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Correction

When I was there in the early 50's we didn't have american money only MPC.
The only coin that was not paper was the penny.I don't think you will have much
luck in finding silver american coins.

I don't know when they quit making MPC's.

I was stationed in Inchon with the US Navy and 40 other sailors. We were the
only naval installation in the northen section of South Korea. We had WWII
PT boats for recon work complete with frogmen.

Dinkydick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread