LA VENTANA

aaronsm321

Sep 19, 2018
OHIO
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am reading Lost Treasures on the Old Spanish Trail, by George A. Thompson. As i read i am generally making maps and reference points. He is mentioning a landmark on pg38. He says "Along the trail there is an unmistakable landmark, LA VENTANA, a natural doorway some 200' high at the crest of the continental divide, 75miles northwest of the hotsprings.... used by all early Spanish travelers as an unmistakable guide." Can anyone provide a GPS coordinate for this? I am not finding any luck searching for references. This is the closest that I can find:
Capture.JPG

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am reading Lost Treasures on the Old Spanish Trail, by George A. Thompson. As i read i am generally making maps and reference points. He is mentioning a landmark on pg38. He says "Along the trail there is an unmistakable landmark, LA VENTANA, a natural doorway some 200' high at the crest of the continental divide, 75miles northwest of the hotsprings.... used by all early Spanish travelers as an unmistakable guide." Can anyone provide a GPS coordinate for this? I am not finding any luck searching for references. This is the closest that I can find:
View attachment 2022076
Know the country well here is a photo of the window and the Rio Grande Pyramid to the right of it .Read a book by Temple H Cornelius called Sheepherder's Gold if you want to learn more.

Attachments

• IMG_5473.JPG
    IMG_5473.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
aaronsm321

aaronsm321

Sep 19, 2018
OHIO
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know the country well here is a photo of the window and the Rio Grande Pyramid to the right of it .Read a book by Temple H Cornelius called Sheepherder's Gold if you want to learn more.
CYZAK,
Awesome Photo! Thanks for the response. Is the slope of the Rio Grande Pyramid in your photo the southern slope? IN this picture from google earth there is the south slope of the pyramid next to a place called the window. Is this what would identify La Ventana? ... actually from some further digging I think I have answered my own question with a yes this is La Ventana. Thanks for your help!
Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread