Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one of the first bottle finds. I found this bottle in a barn of an old farm house I lived in, in Maine. I'm just curious if any one knows anything about the company on the label. Thanks for your help. - Justin

Attachments

• image-2451106580.jpg
    image-2451106580.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 187
  • image-784180972.jpg
    image-784180972.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 374

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fritzsche brothers was established in new york on cedar street, in 1871 for the purpose of importing and selling essential oils

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thanks bass for the info. Any ideas of age on this? The bottle isn't abm

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thanks bass for the info. Any ideas of on this? The bottle isn't abm
here's the rest of the information. Lightyears Collection
Fritzsche Brothers

Fritzsche Brothers (or Fritzche Brothers, as it is sometimes spelled) was established on August 28, 1871, at 62 Cedar Street, New York City, as a subsidiary of chemical maker Schimmel & Co., of Leipzig, Germany, for the purpose of importing and selling essential oils.
In 1894, Schimmel sent to America Frederick Henry Leonhardt, to give Fritzsche's non-technical president, Carl Brucker, needed technical assistance. Leonhardt, known as "Fritz," became a U.S. citizen in 1904. In 1934, when Brucker's successor, F.E. Watermeyer, died, Leonhardt became president. He held this position until 1953 when he surrendered the presidency to his vice president, John H. Montgomery, and assumed the position of chairman of the board. Thus Leonhardt's career with Fritzsche Brothers spanned a period of over 60 years.
In the 1920's, it was Leonhardt who arranged for Ernest Guenther to undertake his world travels and studies which resulted in Guenther's classic, 6-volume text, The Essential Oils, published in 1947.
The issue in the essential oil business is the uniformity and reliability of the oil itself. Guenther sent back samples to Fritzsche of properly collected and processed oils from all over the world, a task which greatly advanced the science and helped dealers sort out the genuine from the tainted or spurious.
In 1952, the year before he retired from the presidency, Leonhardt sanctioned the purchase by Fritzsche Brothers of Dodge & Olcott. In 1963 the firm was renamed Fritzsche, Dodge & Olcott. In 1980, Fritzsche, Dodge & Olcott was acquired by chemical giant BASF. Ten years later, in 1990, BASF sold Fritzsche, Dodge & Olcott to Givaudan.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Het Justin, don't really know where to pinpoint the date on your bottle but i'm sure epackage or surf could get you close. I would guess TOC

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I don't think the lip finish on the bottle is American. I've seen it on many French pharmaceutical bottles, especially the larger ones. It is 20th century in age, I'm confident.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be right on that one Harry. Also, look closely at the neck and you can see that it leans slightly to the left. Either it has gotten hot near a fire or it has an applied top. Guessing around 1910-1920

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Justin, bring us another pitkin ink please.

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty interesting info. So is the bottle foreign and then labeled here? bass I'm just waiting for the spring thaw to get back to my riverbank dump. I know there's something really good there still odds are there's more early American glass there. Theres was also a coventry glass works 8 panel ink found by sister and a piece of sandwich also .But I doubt I'll ever find another pitkin glassworks piece whole ever again.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Hey Justin,

Great picture, man. I like that painted tin backdrop a lot. What's the story on the horse head stirrer? I agree with with the consensus on the date range. I've dug this finish on early 20th Century druggists. I know Whitall Tatum used it, and Illinois Glass offered it on the Lyric ovals: Illinois Glass Co., Bottles and Extras

reinforcedextract.jpg

"10. REINFORCED EXTRACT - This finish is also sometimes called a ring and collar finish, bead with collar, collared ring, rounded collar above a flat band, re-enforced lip, and less accurately, a double collar.

Visually interpreting the IMACS, the reinforced extract finish is a bead (#3) (picture to the left) or on top of a moderate to tall packer finish (#8). The reinforced extract finish shares similarities with the stove pipe (#4), club sauce (#33), and collared ring finishes (#24). This latter finish is almost identical to the reinforced extract finish except may have a somewhat shorter collar (lower portion of the finish). The reinforced extract finish is generally two-part, but some could be considered to have three parts (picture below right). However, some of the three-part versions could also be considered a club sauce finish (#33), though a "classic" club sauce finish would have a middle portion which is distinctly taller than that shown on the amber medicine bottle pictured below. This is the type of variety and cross-over that makes finish classification difficult or confusing, doesn't it?

The reinforced extract finish was somewhat uncommon on mouth-blown bottles and seems to be found primarily on proprietary medicine and druggist bottles that date from the 1890s through the end of the mouth-blown bottle era - the late 1910s to early 1920s (Whitall Tatum Co. 1902, 1924). A variation of this finish also shows up on liquor flasks from the early 1900s. Like the prescription finish (#9) above, the reinforced extract finish is also much more common in mouth-blown bottles as a tooled finish than as an applied finish, though the latter has been observed. It is frequently observed on earlier machine-made bottles manufactured between the mid-1910s through the 1920s (empirical observations)…" Finish Types page 1

equine-trio-horse-head-sculpture-[3]-13315-p.jpg

OP
OP
RelicDude

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you surf for the info because this one had me scratching my head. The horse head is an object I dug last spring I think it's lead and it may be from a toy or possibly a weathervane. I just retro fitted it to a small wooden dowel an turned it into a stopper. It looks neat I like it.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I see the evidence, thanks. This lip finish was used on the early Lysol bottles made in England, and perhaps on the continent. Maybe it was used on American-produced Lysol as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread