• Schools

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro, HeadHunter Pirate
I detect all 3 when able to. Mostly parks because theres alot of em in my town/state. The schools around here are all fenced in :( or would be doing them more then my parks. Not sure of any lakes around in the area that have detectable areas(at least for me)

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
I do pretty well at all of em put so far for me schools have produced the most coins and jewelry this year.

peace,bigrig

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My preference is schools 1st even though they've all been hunted out already. You could find what someone else missed! Today I spent an hour at my grade school that I went to and still found a 1956 quarter and a 1944 wheatie. I like the beaches because I always find good pocket change for the vending machine. Parks are cool but for me I haven't found a whole lot, been picked over too much already. Schools have more ground that you can cover.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigginItUp said:
My preference is schools 1st even though they've all been hunted out already. You could find what someone else missed! Today I spent an hour at my grade school that I went to and still found a 1956 quarter and a 1944 wheatie. I like the beaches because I always find good pocket change for the vending machine. Parks are cool but for me I haven't found a whole lot, been picked over too much already. Schools have more ground that you can cover.

You must have small parks in your state? I voted parks because I've found some of my best/oldest coins & tokens in them. We have parks with much more ground to cover than any of the biggest high schools in our state. A few of our river side parks have history dating back 150 to 200+ years that stretch miles and miles along the rivers - there were lumber camps/mills, steam ship landings, fur trappers/traders post, etc. etc. all along these rivers just as many through out the USA did- we also have parks that are 40 or 50 acres or more and were used as parks 150+ yrs ago were people would gather in 100s and even 1000s for various events (many of which) were wealthy. One year, they removed the top 6 or 8 inches of soil in the largest park in the town I grew up in so they could re-landscape it completely, several dozens of guys flooded the place for days fighting over land to hunt because there were coins being found from the early/mid 1800s by the 100s. 1/2 cents, Large cents, 2 cents, 3 cents, sheild nickels, seated & bust coins, etc. etc.

A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

Parks and Schools also grassy sidewalks are my favorites. ARCOM ;D

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir! Small parks here, at least locally, in my county with a permit I can detect but the next county over you can't even get a permit (nice big parks too), sandy beaches is permitted only. That's too bad because we all know of the goodies that's been left behind over the years. I'm still new at this and haven't pursued the city parks for possible MD'ing in the next county over but my county is quite rural and not a lot of big parks. Fortunate for me I've found some left-over wheaties last year near a fishing hole. :)

And here in NY State we can't hunt the state parks to my understanding except beaches and you have to buy a permit for that and then can only hunt the sand there between Labor Day and Memorial day, which at least 3 of those months is winter and crappy weather. That sucks.

I've been fortunate to find wheaties, mercs and a few good indian heads along the local sidewalks though. Now all I need to do is muster up the courage to walk up to these farmers here and ask to detect their yards ad fields! With the county founded in 1823 and mostly all farm land, I know there's lots of finding's to be found yet.

R

rvbvetter

Usually hunt more off the beatin path than those choices. But occasionally, if it looks really old, will hunt a park or school. HH

M

minelabex1000

I still say parks and lonewolfe pretty much covered the reasons why.

Today with all our entertainment options it's hard for us to visualize how important parks where for 100+ years of American history. If one could travel back in time to a nice Sunday afternoon in the year 1917 (Gilded age), one would find the old park filled with people playing, eating, or just catching a nap. On other occasions there were carnivals and even a circus came to town from time to time. Those awesome oldtimers are gone forever but they've left behind tiny little remembrances for us to find? 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions