Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today, in my continuing attempt at learning the LRP language, I wanted to spend time in the All Metal mode. What a surprise.

First, I never really used it very much concentrating on discrimination and presets. But today, the LRP blew my mind. In the AM mode, ground balance can be done by Ground Grab or manually. As a matter of fact, you can GG, then set the ground balance on a slight negative for better swing data. On the Tesoro's you can do this and turn the knob back a quarter turn to get a negative. On the Land Ranger Pro, you can be more precise with the + and - buttons and digital display.

In all metal the LRP is operating at full throttle. But some nice features are included that Tesoro's don't have and many other detectors don't use.

The TID still IDs the target conductivity and displays it. The somewhat running depth display is working as well, though these are usually useless. And the VCO works admirably well in giving an idea of depth ratio.

One thing I also noticed that I hadn't before..........the target ID has a better lock and doesn't travel the scale as bad as it does in discrimination. I have a hard time in finding nickels because of this, and found 2 right off of the bat. The only draw back is hearing all the iron targets, which I personally notch since I am a coin and jewelry hunter.

In the park there is a lot of iron and trash. With a Tesoro, you have to thumb the disc knob to get an idea of what the target is. The LRP gives you that information on the screen in numeric ID and segments. Tesoro gives a single tone. In AM the tone is single but the VCO gives and idea of depth to metal ratio.

I use Tesoro because I felt like I was using my older Tesoro's yet with a screen better than my Deleon. And the funny thing is that the Land Ranger Pro sells for the same price as the Tesoro Silver MicroMax. And they weigh about the same.

The LRP may not compete with the $1000-$1500 detectors, but it sure tries to.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally hunt with disc mode, but your post has piqued my interest. I will give AM a try again. There is a permission that gave up over 160 coins and I feel like I picked it clean and also pulled most of the junk targets/trash. This should be a great place to run AM. I plan on using both my LRP and F75 to see how they compare. I hope I can deal with the noise are else it will be a short hunt. This place was built in the late 1880s and yet I was pulling wheats 8 to 9 inches deep. There has to be older coins there, and they must be deep. I only found 1 coin from the 1800s and the 2nd oldest was a 1916 wheat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread