Large, Attributed, Antique Silver Medal...Im Stoked!!

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large, Attributed, Antique Silver Medal...I'm Stoked!!

Hello All. I have found several nice items since my last post (which I may post later) but this item is over the top and deserves its own post...all by itself.

I found this item in a 1900's home site trash pit...go figure. I nearly passed it up due to all the competing signals. See link, A.F. Snyder won a silver medal for an entry in the 1914 Toronto Camera Club's Salon Photographic Exhibition's Landscape category...I think I found her or his medal!!!

https://books.google.com/books?id=K...Toronto Camera Club 1914 Annual Salon&f=false

I also found the remains of c. 1947 "Kodak Enlarging Ektar 65mm" lens nearby.

Did I say I'm stoked?...never found anything quite like this...gotta do some more research but I think this is the genuine article.

Thanks for the view and good luck out there. C9

BTW should I clean it or leave the existing patina? I am leaning toward the later....

Attachments

• O1 101115 Toronto Cam Club Obv.jpg
    O1 101115 Toronto Cam Club Obv.jpg
    999.9 KB · Views: 266
  • O1 101115 Toronto Cam Club Rev.jpg
    O1 101115 Toronto Cam Club Rev.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 287
Upvote 15

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY COOL. Always a bonus when we can make an attribution and actually find documentation. I would be stoked too, congrats. BTW I would leave it as is

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find. For right now,, don't clean it.
There are numerous Photography Organizations that may pay a small fortune for that medal, should you decide to sell it.
You can have it cleaned professionally without spending an arm and a leg.
The recipient of that medal may have also won GOLD medals for other competitions. Guess where they may be8-)

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
What a cool find! I think your A.F. Snyder may be Albert F. Snyder who is the same as is noted as being the husband of Amanda Straw aka Madeline Stokes in this article. It states that they lived in Utica, NY and if you search the A.F. Snyder photography listings it does appear he moved from Philadelphia to Utica at right about this time (1914) If you scroll to the end there is a photo of him.

https://hersheystory.org/the-cover-girl-and-the-chocolate-king/

I also found this little blurb in the 1927 Harrisburg newspaper which may help explain how the medal ended up in Florida.

Attachments

• afsnyder.jpg
    afsnyder.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 88

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awsome find, especially if the possible history matches your story. I would also leave "as is" until you get verification. :thumbsup:

stealthycat

Feb 17, 2012
Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pros
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one of a kinds are super cool IMO - nobody will ever find another like it - ever, like, its the only one in existence and you found it

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14:...very cool backstory...dont clean it say I

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a really cool find!

It looks exactly like a watch fob. If I had found that, I would have certainly mis-identified it. Very well done C9...

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing medal and I love photography so this is particularly cool. I love the art nouveau style. You've got my Banner vote.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CAMBRIA DANG NICE FIND .....

OP
OP
cambria09

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a cool find! I think your A.F. Snyder may be Albert F. Snyder who is the same as is noted as being the husband of Amanda Straw aka Madeline Stokes in this article. It states that they lived in Utica, NY and if you search the A.F. Snyder photography listings it does appear he moved from Philadelphia to Utica at right about this time (1914) If you scroll to the end there is a photo of him.

https://hersheystory.org/the-cover-girl-and-the-chocolate-king/

I also found this little blurb in the 1927 Harrisburg newspaper which may help explain how the medal ended up in Florida.

Hello Bramblefind. Nice bit of research. I think you are correct A. F. Snyder and Albert F. Snyder were one and the same person and his connection by marriage to Amanda Straw is a very interesting side bar.

Thanks very much for the reply and info...may the finds be with you. C9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread