large axe head from heavily hunted park

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
got this old axe head from a local park here.this park dates to 1902 and has been heavily hunted.i havent really hit any old coins there yet but i did find this. crh 0608 306.jpg

i seem to be real keen on axeheads. found 3 at the LBH. one older type like this [broken] and 2 more modern.

but it does give me hope.if something this big still hasnt been found,there must be other goodies around .also i never find any evidence of a handle.a good older tool would surely have a handle made of hickory or some other tough wood.i guess mostly the axe heads are lost when they "fly off the handle". haha! has anyone here ever found one with the handle still on.were talking axe here not hatchet.how long would it take for the handle to rot away completely.would 106 yrs be enuf?

wonder who lost it? pre park farmland.or clearing for the new park?

probably GIMLI the dwarf lost it after the battle of helms deep.
"42 master Legolas,and alas my axe is notched for the 42nd orc had an iron collar" :D

Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a VERY NICE early ax head! Probably late 1700s to early 1800s! Great Find! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
REALLY ? i didnt think much of it. it WAS headed to the scrap pile out back. how can u tell if its that old or not.i see no markings.too rusted. but i guess that would be hand made era blacksmith territory back then huh? thanku thanku. JUST GOES TO SHOW I GUESS. DONT THROW ANYTHING AWAY U FIND IF UR NOT SURE. and is it worth anything anyone thinks?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to let you know, the reason that is still in the ground is because it is made of iron. People just don't dig iron in parks. We pass it over on purpose.

ac385

Jul 26, 2005
Ga
Dig everything = Find old stuff and lots of junk
Don't dig everything = Don't find lots of junk but you miss out on old axe heads. :)

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
bscofield6 said:
Just to let you know, the reason that is still in the ground is because it is made of iron. People just don't dig iron in parks. We pass it over on purpose.

People often ignore all "non coin" signals. I dug my finest "coin silver" spoon, which dates to about 1850, in a heavily hunted area. I am sure it was passed up as "can slaw" by people before me who thought it was too big to be anything of value.

I also dig many early American brass "flat" buttons that are passed up by people in COIN mode who pass up the mid range signals as junk.

I enjoy digging the old axe heads. Each one has a different story that we will never know. Congrats on the find!

Neil

OP
OP
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Neil in West Jersey said:
bscofield6 said:

People often ignore all "non coin" signals. I dug my finest "coin silver" spoon, which dates to about 1850, in a heavily hunted area. I am sure it was passed up as "can slaw" by people before me who thought it was too big to be anything of value.

I also dig many early American brass "flat" buttons that are passed up by people in COIN mode who pass up the mid range signals as junk.

I enjoy digging the old axe heads. Each one has a different story that we will never know. Congrats on the find!

Neil
right on neil.and instead of going home w just a few clads and no history.i had the great fun of finding it.it really only took a few moments to dig it. also i didnt put in the orig post i found several coins [nothing special though] right near there that im sure it was masking. also due to rise in metal prices im always hoping for a nice piece of copper or brass to scrap.another area park has given up a lot of industrial metals of value goto see it http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165033.0.html

also this is one of the few parks near enough gaswise to be huntable and i plan on teally hunting it hard.i need to get all the surface stuff out of the way anyway b4 i hit it w the BIG COIL :thumbsup:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find. I found a set of four of them. From the large one to the hatchet size. They were all in a two foot circle of each other. I'll see about getting a picture for if I can find it. Congrat.

OP
OP
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Old River said:
Great find. I found a set of four of them. From the large one to the hatchet size. They were all in a two foot circle of each other. I'll see about getting a picture for if I can find it. Congrat.
u wonder if it was a fight there.hope no one lost their scalp. pm me a link to the pics if u put them on so ill be sure to see it.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found them. Only little one is not in the picture. Oh yea, the meat clever was in the same spot.

Attachments

• Axe Heads.jpg
    Axe Heads.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 900
  • Axe Heads.jpg
    Axe Heads.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 879

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool axe head, scrounger! Very nice relic....WTG :thumbsup: Way to dig those iron signals.

(Now does your wife know you had that rusty old thing on the kitchen table?) :wink:

HH

OP
OP
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Old River said:
I found them. Only little one is not in the picture. Oh yea, the meat clever was in the same spot.
as long as u found no human bones.....heh...heh GREAT FINDS !!

the axes in pics look shiny.DID U SEAL THEM W SOMETHING AND IF SO WHY ?

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No I didn't seal them. Thats just the way they looked when I washed the dirt off. I did find a lot of bones in that area, and hope they were animal bones.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice old relic, Scrounger :thumbsup: Good hunt.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Those things, including your's, Scrounger, look medieval. I have no doubt that any wood associated with them rotted away YEARS/DECADES ago. Be glad the iron remained. Clean 'em up and let us see the results. Congrats!

OP
OP
Aug 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Noodle said:
Those things, including your's, Scrounger, look medieval. I have no doubt that any wood associated with them rotted away YEARS/DECADES ago. Be glad the iron remained. Clean 'em up and let us see the results. Congrats!
i dont think u clean these,noodle.have u done anything with those that were found there or u tossed them.?i dont know if they have any value.or not. if somebody knows whether to clean this and HOW let me know

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
That's a VERY NICE early ax head! Probably late 1700s to early 1800s! Great Find! :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly! Great find!

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread