Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I woke up late today, because I was up until 4AM posting various nonsense on online forums, but I decided to look for treasure before going to work anyway. I had 1 hour so no time to dig in the low tide mud, detect the local dirt, or rummage at the thrift stores because all these things took too long, I had one place that I knew I could get to and be in and out with time to still get to work - the garbage dump. The garbage dump had not produced any treasure for me all month, so I looked at my watch - it was September 14th, two weeks of no treasure at the dump - statistically I probably will find some today I thought...

So I went to the dump and began digging through the junk piles - after 15 minutes I uncovered 12 pieces of weighted Sterling Silver tableware including: 6 candle holders, 3 salt & pepper shakers, a creamer and sugar bowl set, and a very nice candy dish - my favorite find in the hoard, I also scored a very nice Gorham silver-plated tea pot. My buddy who runs a demo company later said a young lady had dumped all the contents of her parent's house there and there were "antiques and stuff up in there", well that would explain where all this treasure came from - not the smartest lady. I know I didn't find all of it as there is alot buried under other worthless stuff.

I began filling this small paper bag with treasure but it was not big enough so I ended up using a 5 gallon bucket instead.
20180914_121012_resized2.jpg

I chucked all the treasure in a 5 gallon bucket and took it home, cleaned and photographed, and then went to work. A few weeks back I had found a really nice treasure box in the garbage someone threw away, this one hoard was able to fit inside it perfectly and it is the same one in the attached photos.

20180914_124704_resized.jpg

20180914_125051_resized.jpg
20180914_125059_resized.jpg

The Sterling stamp on the candy dish, similar to all the others:
20180914_125119(0)_resized.jpg

Upvote 38

adit

Apr 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x ,
Tesoro Vaquero
I am amazed yet again at how much great/interesting stuff you find !:icon_thumleft:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! Who needs to go to work with free goodies like that laying around!

I'm kinda jealous now, lol. I don't care for cities, but with 16X as many people there in 300 square miles as in the entire state of Wyoming of near 100,000, the density of treasures available for scrounging must be amazingly delicious. Congrats, keep hoovering up that silver man!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice finds.Congrats

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
knuckleheads like her are born everyday

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again Bravo! They won't let us in the gate at the landfills around here. I firmly believe that in the not too distant future we'll be digging them up for their resources.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Finds!!

Kace

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again Bravo! They won't let us in the gate at the landfills around here. I firmly believe that in the not too distant future we'll be digging them up for their resources.

Lol, you don't know the half of it, I work for an agency that oversees landfills and other waste disposal places, it's already begun. Privately owned scrap companies began mining for scrap metal in NY landfills already, it's all super shady with political kickbacks and everything to the people who approved the deals for the companies to begin mining the landfills (they don't call it mining though, it's called something vague like "salvage" or "cleanup" lol - they clean the valuables out and leave the toxins behind).

Landfills contain millions of dollars in metal - and the best part is the older landfills contain better and more concentrated metal. This is how it works - the smell filthy trash all goes in the ground and is forgotten - but after half a century the organic material and alot of the thin steel has decomposed to dust - what is left behind is a miner's dream - brass, copper, stainless steel, aluminum, heavy cast and wrought iron, silver, and even gold - there is also alot of glass, plastic, and rubber - the important thing being that the organic trash is gone - poof - leaving concentrated cash in the form of metal scrap. I have inspected many old landfills, they are bursting with loot, the new landfills just stink though and you don't want to go to those - methane gas can kill you. Landfills are a big part of the book I am writing.

From old landfills I have personally seen/recovered: copper, brass, stainless steel, aluminum, iron, silver, gold, liquid mercury, lead, uranium, radium, glass, organic rubber, nylon, celluloid, plastic. The most common thing is iron - tons of it - also tons of copper and brass - a fortune worth if someone was given the right to legally mine it on an industrial scale. If you are interested in landfill I would suggest reading the book "Fat of the Land: Garbage of New York -- The Last Two Hundred Years" by Benjamin Miller who details the corruption, bribery, and the many fortunes that have been made and lost simply by controlling the ownership of garbage. I love garbage :)

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all that interesting information and congrats on all those nice silver finds.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, can I banner this? Screw it, I'm bannering it. You picked through the dump for this stuff, it deserves it!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great saves!!! So awesome you found this and to save it from being lost forever!!! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread