Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Marked 14k fake chain.jpg
Unsodered link.jpg
Scrach test 10 to 14k.jpg
Acid test failed.jpg

Back Story – Found this chain (picture) last year in Florida. Marked 14k, heavy at about 5-6oz, and looked real good. Never crossed my mind that it could be fake. Sent it home for safe-keeping and then posted find on TreasureNet. Several viewers thought it might be fake with one major reason being that the chain links were not welded together (see pic). Had to wait until I returned to Ohio in May to test chain.

Update – A scratch test revealed that the chain was between 10 and 14k (see pic, 14k and 18k acids blended afterwards). However, when a small cut was filed in one of the links and a 10k acid test performed, the test cut produced extensive bubbles (see pic, couldn’t make out color) indicating that the base metal was NOT gold. I think my wife cried even more than me… Easy come and easy go.

Happy Hunting

Upvote 2

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It still looks good enough to wear, just isn't worth much to sell. :icon_thumleft:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
You should reply of the sratch test, your acid drop test reacted with the base metals used to alloy the gold.

Do a specific gravity test, then you'll know for sure.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember this, but before you go any further It still has good value and can be sold. I've seen fake chains (and rings) go for a few hundred dollars even with the buyers knowing the purity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You should reply of the sratch test, your acid drop test reacted with the base metals used to alloy the gold.

Do a specific gravity test, then you'll know for sure.

Specific gravity was 7.292 and appears to closely match Tin at 7.26-7.30, depending on reference. So it appears the base metal is tin. Thanks for the advice and I sure plan to use specific gravity in future gold finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread