Large Pieces II - Alabama Finds

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a 10" X 14", home-made, white cedar frame with a luan back of a few more cores, scrapers, preforms, choppers et al I found here in East Central Alabama. The material is quartz and quartzite. As always, thanks for looking.

DSCN1733.JPG DSCN1732.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tdog

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool!
You don’t see a lot of pieces that size framed.

Yes, they are too thick for a typical shallow frame with a glass door. I knew hardly anything about framing artifacts at the time but I wanted to display these somehow as I was accumulating quite a few of them. Some were yardifacts, some I had in drawers & boxes and some I had on shelves in my shop (workshop / mancave). So, I decided on the arrangement, put them in there, picked them out one at a time, put a dab of 100% silicone on that spot and placed the piece back from where it came. I now know that's not the best way to do it but it's done now and I'm leaving them that way. Thank you for replying and your interest.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Tdog, a little daub of silicon won’t hurt them, heck they’ll survive global warming and/or the next ice age better than we will. I say if you picked them up you should display them proudly.

edit- the only thing you have worry about is that silicone adhesive will break down eventually. Might be 15 years, might be 30 years, but eventually they’ll release from the board. (Just don’t hang them above the chair where your wife sits, she won’t believe it was an accident.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdog

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tdog, a little daub of silicon won’t hurt them, heck they’ll survive global warming and/or the next ice age better than we will. I say if you picked them up you should display them proudly.

edit- the only thing you have worry about is that silicone adhesive will break down eventually. Might be 15 years, might be 30 years, but eventually they’ll release from the board. (Just don’t hang them above the chair where your wife sits, she won’t believe it was an accident.)

Thanks Joshua. That made me feel a little better about it. Seriously!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread