Large SPHERES....what are they?

stranger

Jun 14, 2006
Found this in an field where farming has taken place for years and years...any ideas at all???? I'd guess it to weigh close to 20# total. The rod connecting the two spheres is solidly attached and about 3/4" separates them. Also, the rod is about 1" in diameter.

Attachments

• Balls.jpg
    Balls.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 3,765
  • Balls1.jpg
    Balls1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3,781

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
S

stefen

Re: Large Balls....what are they?

I have a client that has a pair of those ::)

Oops! Sorry. They are brass. ;D

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Could you rephrase that please!!! ay, no wonder the green giant has died!!! SORRY!

Upvote 0

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida

Was just at the McLarty Museum (Sebastian, FLorida) and that sure looks like the double shot cannon balls they used to fire into sail riggings to rip as it tumbles through them, rather then just makeing a hole.

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Was there ever an iron king kong???? ;D ;D

Best,

Chagy........ ;D

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dg39 said:
Interesting the way it is made. are the balls open around the connecting shaft? it looks that way from the pic. Like they have been almost drilled and the connecting shaft inserted. Any military action in your area in the past?

Simease twin bowling balls? ;D
hahaha...conjoined....lol petrified dinosaur dung with dingleberry, SORRY, I WILL STOP...LOL Nice find..."FINDS"...LOL

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stranger

Jun 14, 2006

Correct....there is no visible wear on either parts...connecting rod or sphere's themselves. THere appears to be somwhat of a "seam" around the spheres as if they were poured/cast...but barely visible. Is there any possibility of it being a valve for a steam engine or something like that? I've searched the net on steam engines and haven't found anything that might fit. Don't think the horse anchor theory is logical...a horse could have dragged or rolled that thing along no problem.

Once again....found in midwest farm country so has to be something to do with old mechanical equipment unless a souvenier brought back from a war/battle. A relative short distance away on some other property of ours(<1/2 mile), I've found many late 1800's military shell casings (45-70, etc.) and bullets where there was a military rifle range. I doubt there is any correlation, but just providing all details that might be useful.

There has to be a logical explanation to this, driving me nuts!!!

Thanks for all input

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stranger

Jun 14, 2006

yes, where the rod joins them is larger..the hole was cut larger than the diameter of the shaft. Where the rod actually contacts the spheres is flat...as if the hole larger hole was only cut to that depth (if that makes sense).

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I keep looking at the cannon idea..But the joining is too sophisticated. Too bad the Major is out on the river, he use to be in the Orleans Howitzers when he was youngster in 64. I could ask him. ;) -- ;)

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

stranger said:
Correct....there is no visible wear on either parts...connecting rod or sphere's themselves. THere appears to be somwhat of a "seam" around the spheres as if they were poured/cast...but barely visible. Is there any possibility of it being a valve for a steam engine or something like that? I've searched the net on steam engines and haven't found anything that might fit. Don't think the horse anchor theory is logical...a horse could have dragged or rolled that thing along no problem.

Once again....found in midwest farm country so has to be something to do with old mechanical equipment unless a souvenier brought back from a war/battle. A relative short distance away on some other property of ours(<1/2 mile), I've found many late 1800's military shell casings (45-70, etc.) and bullets where there was a military rifle range. I doubt there is any correlation, but just providing all details that might be useful.

There has to be a logical explanation to this, driving me nuts!!!

Thanks for all input

a military firing range you say? could this be a bar shot from a cannon that was being fired for practice? a half mile would be in range for such a weapon. i just cant think of any other application for this object other than a projectile, and it is very very similar to the photos of known bar shot. ???

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Description: A bar shot was used to damage the sails and rigging of an enemy ship. Although used mainly by the French, they were also made at the Woolwich Arsenal in the 18th century.
Creator: Unknown
Date: 18th century
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London

Bar shot appears in a Castillo inventory of 1706...this kind was a bar with half of the iron ball on each end...so, many kinds must have been made ...

Attachments

• bar shot.jpg
    bar shot.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 3,082
  • bar.gif
    bar.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 3,000
  • chainshot.gif
    chainshot.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 3,028
  • expandingshot.gif
    expandingshot.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 2,985
  • jointedbar.gif
    jointedbar.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 3,008
Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

or this????.........just a different type.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 2,958
Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

the only other thing that comes to mind is maybe a guide for rope or something, but thats just a wild guess? ??? do you have an agricultural museum near you? maybe the curator would know what it is if it is a piece of farm equipment.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread