🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
K

Kentucky Kache

I don't know anything about the BH 505, but any machine that wouldn't detect 6 inches with a 10 inch coil I would trade in.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hmm.... that machine should go deeper than 4" period. I have had several BH's through the years and all have hit at least 8" with the stock coil and there is some nasty ground in my town. Is your sensitivity set too low? Are you holding the coil too high off the ground? Bad bad soil? Yes the 10" coil will give a touch more depth and cover more ground at a quicker pace. It is more difficult to pin point accurately with and sometimes it throws off the target ID, usually in the low to mid range. Look around on the net for the best deal. I bought my 10" from Boaters World. They have them for $43.07. While you're at it, get the 4" coil as well if you don't have one. It's $26.98, and worth every penny. Hope this helps.

metman

Jul 28, 2010
Metamora, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried to benchmark the coil? Bury some coins at various depths and test it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you bury a coin deeper and the detector can see it, you would also get it under normal hunting conditions. Try that for starters just to see, and maybe play a bit to see if you can get it to sound better.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking, a coil will get roughly the same depth as the size. So, an 8 inch coil should get 8" inches of depth, etc., etc.

Here's something to keep in mind...

Have you been MEASURING your dug holes? Most people don't. So, they guesstimate. If you HAVEN'T been measuring, maybe the holes you've dug were 9" versus the 6" inches that you mentioned. Reason I'm saying this is, we've ALL thought the same thing before. We're not finding anything decent, so, we start questioning the abilities of our detectors. Most of the time, our doubts don't wash.

Remember, you'll only find targets 8" deep or 10" deep and so on, IF THEY'RE THERE!!! Maybe there is nothing that deep where you're looking.

If you can afford a larger coil, go ahead and pick one up. You definitely SHOULD get more depth. But, remember, a larger coil isn't the "magic bullet" most people think it is. If you will be using it in trashy places, it's not really recommended. Will pick up too many targets at one time, etc.

Try measuring your holes the next time out and see what the ACTUAL depth is. If indeed you're only getting a max of 4" or so, you have a LOT more to be worried about than coils. Might need to send your unit in for a check-up. Oh yeah, dumb suggestion...Make sure your gain or sensitivity is turned higher. I've seen people have it on three or four and expect extreme depth. Good luck :thumbsup:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one case where you should do an air test to see if the problem is in the detector or down to local conditions. If your ground is really bad you may be getting great depth. I've areas where the top machines from Whites/Minelab/XP etc manage two inches.

If it is a case of bad ground then putting on a larger coil would just make things worse as the detector would be picking up even more ground effect.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Don, if you're getting 4" with the 8" coil, then you might get 4 1/2" to 5" with 10" coil. The Bounty Hunters I've had didn't get great depth, maybe 5 1/2" in air test & 4" in my ground. But they could lock onto the correct ID on a 4" deep silver dime. It could be possible I could get a little deeper if I just dug everything, probably a bit more depth in all metal.

I have bad ground, so some people in their soil do somewhat better. But no detector is likely to exceed the air test range in the ground. HH, George (MN)

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not necessarily correct George.

A vast majority of detectors will not air test with great depth. But, will go deeeeeeep. The reason being, most detectors need to pick up the "matrix" or "halo" around the target while IN THE GROUND.

Heck, I've seen the better White's models and Minelab's air test horribly. And we all know these are VERY capable lines. But, get them out in the field and that's a different story.

Air testing is completely different than actual in-ground performance on targets.

Try it out one day. It doesn't make sense, I know, but it's true :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
That's not necessarily correct George.

A vast majority of detectors will not air test with great depth. But, will go deeeeeeep. The reason being, most detectors need to pick up the "matrix" or "halo" around the target while IN THE GROUND.

Heck, I've seen the better White's models and Minelab's air test horribly. And we all know these are VERY capable lines. But, get them out in the field and that's a different story.

Air testing is completely different than actual in-ground performance on targets.

Try it out one day. It doesn't make sense, I know, but it's true :thumbsup:

Are you sure. My explorer airtests pretty good on small silver! (And I'll bet it's very close to the depth I get)

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Safari tests fine as well I.P. I'm SURE that I still do get extra depth once in the ground however.

My point was, air tests don't mean squat. It might be a decent INDICATOR, but, has NOTHING to do with a real world, in-the-ground hunt.

Some detectors just don't air test all that well. Fact. The machines need to pick up that matrix from the target being in the ground for all those years.

All that being said though, if one's detector isn't picking up, say, a soda can on an air test, I'd be a bit worried :laughing9: :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
My Safari tests fine as well I.P. I'm SURE that I still do get extra depth once in the ground however.

My point was, air tests don't mean squat. It might be a decent INDICATOR, but, has NOTHING to do with a real world, in-the-ground hunt.

Some detectors just don't air test all that well. Fact. The machines need to pick up that matrix from the target being in the ground for all those years.

All that being said though, if one's detector isn't picking up, say, a soda can on an air test, I'd be a bit worried :laughing9: :laughing7:

I've never used a detector that showed a great improvment in range/depth from an airtest to the ground. We'll have to agree to disagree again! :laughing7:

OP
OP
70monte68

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Thanks guys,
It seems that I should give it some more time and as said measure the holes that I am digging, or air test. It just seems that I am only finding 65 and newer so first thought go deeper. But like said maybe there is nothing silver where I'm looking.
Though I have had a few hits showing 1dollar at 8 or 10' readings but I dig and dig and nothing. Any thoughts? Also would you all sugest a coil cover?
Thanks and HH
Don

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have two whites now and have gone thru at least three others. They all air tested the same as in the ground! I have used them from coast to coast. Now in curtain high mineralized areas I did have to detune the TR which lost a little dept. If you lay a can on the ground and run the coil of my XLT over it, it registeres overload.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread