Last 5 Hunts. 7 Silver...2 were firsts in 1 hour.

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Well, first off let me say that I haven't been on lately due to another Computer Blackout. If we lose power, my monitor doesn't seem to work for awhile. Anyway, haven't been able to post lately due to this.

Well, the 1st hunt I'm starting with was on 4/13/2011.

Searched a fairgrounds with 2 buddies. I spent 4 hours digging targets in a very small area. I walked about 30 yards, then turned and came back in the other direction. I dug anything that was deep or iffy. I was trying to move as slow as I could.

Anyway, managed 24 coins. 10 were good finds. 6 wheats, 1931 Canadian Penny, 1918 Buffalo Nickel, and a very nice 1899 Barber Dime.

Attachments

• MD041311.jpg
    MD041311.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 163
Hunt #2

4/20/2011

On this hunt I went back out with pals Jim and Rick. They took me to one of their hotspots. I cannot disclose the location, but they've each dug over a 100 silver coins at the location over the years. The guy that showed them the spot in the mid-1980's probably dug more than they have combined.

And this place is massive. Anyway, I dug 56 coins.

20 of them were Good Finds. 17 wheat pennies, all from the 40's and 50's.
Got 3 Silver Coins…1943P War Nickel, 1953D Washington Quarter, 1960D Roosevelt Dime.

Jim and Rick each found 4 silver coins.

Important note, I really haven't found that many silver coins with the SE yet. I have not had a double digit year with Silver coins yet. Kind of disappointing. I averaged about 15-20 a year with my GTI 1500, with a career best of 28 back in 2005. Anyway, I've improved each year, but have a best year of 8 silver coins with the Minelab which was in 2009. In the 20 or so Silvers (prior to this year) that I've found with the SE...all have been nickels or dimes.

So I've never scored a Silver Quarter or Half with the SE...until finding the Quarter on this hunt. After this hunt...I had a Total of 9 Silver coins found this year...which is my best year with the Minelab yet. Unbelievably...9 is my career high with the Minelab.

Attachments

• MD042011.jpg
    MD042011.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 166
Hunt #3

4/21/2011

The day after this 3 silver day...I decided to go back out. Went out to the family farm of 300 acres. The current house dates back to 1926/27, but there were 3 other houses on it at one time. One sat in front of the current house and thats pretty much the only spot I've searched around the farm. The other two spots where homes were I have never searched around, but I'm told that all 3 of these homesteads date back to the 1860's or earlier.

Anyway, I haven't really hunted this area that hard, but after what I found on this hunt, I'm sure I'll spend a little more time out there.

I probably have 15 total hours hunting this area. Probably dug 30 wheats out there. Also found very little clad and 2 Indians in one day last year, which gave me some hope for the future. Have never found a silver coin out there.

Anyway, found 6 coins out there, 4 were good finds.

Started out with a 1941 wheat penny. Then a Clad quarter and a memorial penny. Then all of a sudden get this nice hit about 4 inches down. Turns out to be a 1941 Mercury Dime. Yesssss!!! The curse is over...finally nailed a silver coin out there.

So I head closer to the road for a little bit. Get a nice 00-25, 00-26 reading about 5 inches down. Decide to dig it even though I'm only about 8 feet off of the paved highway. Take out the plug, pull a little more dirt up and cannot believe my eyes. Turns out to be the side of what appears to be a Half-Dollar. Sure enough...My First Franklin Half (Ironically, noticed a bunch of you have been finding these lately). Its dated 1952D. So, the previous day I dig my 1st Silver Quarter with the Minelab...now I dig my 1st Silver Half the very next day??? I was thinking there was no way my luck could improve. Amazingly...It did.

So anyway, I head to the other end of the farm. I truly just recently found out about one of these homesteads that dates back to the 1860's. Apparently the house was moved in the 1940's or 50's. Better than being torn down for detecting purposes.

So I start getting some hits, but nothing great. Lots of interference. I'm digging down, but hitting big rocks. Figured it must've been the old foundation stones. Shortly thereafter, I hit what appears to be an ancient sidewalk. To the left of this area, its kind of gravely...probably the old driveway??? So then I head to the right side of where I think this house sat. Get a decent target...dig down...ahh. Relief its Thick Black Soil. So now I start searching this area better since its undisturbed ground. Get this perfect silver tone 00-28, 00-29. Its faint, but consistent. Showing up like its pretty deep though. So I take out a plug that has about 4" of soil stuck to it...about the size of a volleyball. Sitting in the bottom of the hole is a piece of porcelain dish about the size of a baseball. Im thinking...great...maybe just a silver spoon or something. Even though that would be cool...I'd much rather dig an old silver coin. Stick the probe in the hole and its not really registering. Dig a few more inches of dirt out...probe starts going off. A few more inches of dirt out, then its screaming. I take a few more inches of dirt out...then the screaming stops. I scan the dirt pile and the dirt pile is now screaming. I think...hmm...I know in the little handfuls of dirt I was taking out...there wasn't a silver spoon.

I start sifting through and I see it...a Silver quarter. My 2nd in 2 days.

But this isn't just a silver quarter. I am looking at the back of the coin and I can tell its a Seated Quarter.

Flip the coin over to reveal the date...1877 Seated Quarter. I sat there for probably 2 minutes just totally amazed. I honestly never thought I'd dig one of these. Crazy. And this sucker was deep...easily 8" down there. One of my deepest coins and ot came up great.

Attachments

• MD042111.jpg
    MD042111.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 157
  • MD042111SQF.jpg
    MD042111SQF.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 162
  • MD042111SQB.jpg
    MD042111SQB.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 156
Hunt #4

4/24/2011

On Easter Sunday, managed to get out for 2 hours. Went back to the old farm field that used to have a schoolhouse on it. Found 3 coins in 2 hours. Found my 1st clad coin out there that I can remember. It was a Memorial Penny...1959. Figures. School was torn down in the early 60's.

Managed 2 good finds. 1919 Wheat Penny and...unbelievable...1945 Silver Quarter. Its almost unbelievable to me. After back to back 3 Silver coin hunts...and after finding my 1st 2 Silver quarters and 1st Silver Half with the Minelab...I manage a 3rd Silver Quarter. That a Silver Quarter on 3 straight hunts. That streak must end, but I'll probably never top that again.

Also, brings the total to 7 silver coins in 3 hunts over 5 days.

Also, brings yearly Silver Coin Total to 13. So, I've officially found double-digit silver coins in a year now with the Minelab. I think maybe I'm starting to figure out the machine better. Its just a completely different animal than the Garrett was.

Attachments

• MD042411.jpg
    MD042411.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 153
Hunt #5

4/29/2011

Went to a different old fairgorunds. Made 3 good finds.

I found two (2) 1910 Wheat Pennies and a 1903 Indianhead Penny in rough shape.

Nothing that spectacular to report. But I was still pumped. That's my 9th Indianhead of the year.

Awesome Silver finds ya got there!! :headbang: Love that Seated coin....still on my list. WTG

Wow, guess ya won't be worrying about finding silver with the minelab anymore. GREAT finds. I love the seated quarter. That is one that has eluded me. :hello2: :headbang:

Now that is a Yee Haa kind of nice!!!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :headbang: :hello2:

Your on a roll, keep it up. Between your instints and your familiarity with your machine, it will get even better.

yeah buddy....WTG on all those silver coins!, and a big congrats on that seated quarter!.....good reading, and it looks like its gonna be a goood year for you for sure, its pretty early in the year to have already have your best silver year.....nice! :hello2:

Congrats, sweet barber and seated, wow, nice stuff all around! :headbang:

Scored over 260 silvers in two years w/ the SE, you swing over some silver
you'll find it.

Good luck
HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back