BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Box one = 2 - 40% and one 2008-P

Box two = 1 - 90% Kennedy

Pretty sad if you ask me.

Totals for the last 14 boxes of the summer = 3 - 40% and 1 - 90%

Glad to be done with it all with the pathetic showing as of late.

If anyone needs the 2008-P and wants to trade, let me know. I already have both 08's for my personal collection. I know I still need both 07's and I think at least one 05. Other than that I think I have them all. Let me know if anyone is interested. The 08 is in great NIFC shape.

~Dave

EDIT: Forgot to mention that one of the rolls in the first box was shorter than the others... so I was thinking I got shorted a 50 cent piece. But nope... I got shorted TWO 50 cent pieces... in a single ROLL!

Upvote 0

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be getting CWI boxes, because I have been short many times with these....
The silver has been really scarce around here.....even just finding a roll of halves at the bank
is getting rare, too.

Joe

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
BBcardsRI said:
Box one = 2 - 40% and one 2008-P

Box two = 1 - 90% Kennedy

Pretty sad if you ask me.

Totals for the last 14 boxes of the summer = 3 - 40% and 1 - 90%

Glad to be done with it all with the pathetic showing as of late.

If anyone needs the 2008-P and wants to trade, let me know. I already have both 08's for my personal collection. I know I still need both 07's and I think at least one 05. Other than that I think I have them all. Let me know if anyone is interested. The 08 is in great NIFC shape.

~Dave

EDIT: Forgot to mention that one of the rolls in the first box was shorter than the others... so I was thinking I got shorted a 50 cent piece. But nope... I got shorted TWO 50 cent pieces... in a single ROLL!

My last couple of Brink's boxes had a roll or two that had an extra coin, and some that were short a coin. I could tell as soon has I picked up the roll and started peeling the wrapper it was either light or heavy. I think I wound up breaking even as far as being heavy and short. Either way they lacked sufficient silver to keep me CRHing.

I bet my dump banks will be happy that I am not there a couple of times a week making them run all my rejects. LOL!

Jim

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I get CWI and Brinks depending on which one of my banks I order them from. These were indeed CWI. I mean one heavy or one light isn't too surprising though it should be a RARE occurence or these people need better freaking counting machine, but to get short by two is not right. The roll was SO much shorter than the others from the aerial view of the box...

I'm just glad to be done with it, and I know my coin machine bank is GLAD to get rid of me. They have told me as much! When I arrived there today to dump some non-halves stuff... one of the tellers who I often talk to around the coin machine and who changes some of the bags was leaving the side entrance and she spotted me and shouted out "Yes! I'm gone for the day... perfect timing!"

All I have left now is another like $150 in handrolls of nickels and then I don't think I will buy a single coin once I get done with these and dump them. College starts up in like 2 weeks and I need to get stuff together before then, and once there I don't see CRH working out aside from perhaps a few little roadtrips for handrolls of halves on a weekend here and there as I am fairly rural and could nab some nice stuff.

So I am out of the CRH game for at least the next 9 months, so enjoy the hobby with one less person stealing your silver! Joe... I'm talking to you! lol

~Dave

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
BBcardsRI said:
I get CWI and Brinks depending on which one of my banks I order them from. These were indeed CWI. I mean one heavy or one light isn't too surprising though it should be a RARE occurence or these people need better freaking counting machine, but to get short by two is not right. The roll was SO much shorter than the others from the aerial view of the box...

I'm just glad to be done with it, and I know my coin machine bank is GLAD to get rid of me. They have told me as much! When I arrived there today to dump some non-halves stuff... one of the tellers who I often talk to around the coin machine and who changes some of the bags was leaving the side entrance and she spotted me and shouted out "Yes! I'm gone for the day... perfect timing!"

All I have left now is another like $150 in handrolls of nickels and then I don't think I will buy a single coin once I get done with these and dump them. College starts up in like 2 weeks and I need to get stuff together before then, and once there I don't see CRH working out aside from perhaps a few little roadtrips for handrolls of halves on a weekend here and there as I am fairly rural and could nab some nice stuff.

So I am out of the CRH game for at least the next 9 months, so enjoy the hobby with one less person stealing your silver! Joe... I'm talking to you! lol

~Dave

You are still in college? Damn that seems so long ago for me. College was easy and a blast, while grad school was intense and not too much fun. You should not be wasting your time chasing a few silver coins, you should be chasing hot, college-aged women!!!

This will be the only chance in your life to do such things amigo. If I knew then what I know now.....

Trust me on this, have fun now and don't wait till later. Of course you need to get good grades, etc., but I did not take advantage of my college years as much as I should have.

Jim

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Yep... still in college. This will be my third year, with no aspirations of grad school at the moment.

I go to college well out of state, so I use the summer months to bum around and deal with a few different hobbies and jack of all trade type jobs that pop up to fuel my spending, etc.

I had been into coins as a little kid and then was out of the hobby until this summer when a close friend started getting all hot and heavy for silver as a hedge against inflation, etc. and sparked my interest in it... which quickly turned to CRH as well.

I hear you about living it up while at college, and I do my best, though I've been thrown quite a few curveballs from up on high in the college administration to piss me off and distract me enough from both grades and the uhh... extra-curriculars. Working on making this year different but even before it starts it is already looking worse than either previous year. I am a VERY unlucky person when it comes to school it seems.

~Dave

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
BBcardsRI said:
Yep... still in college. This will be my third year, with no aspirations of grad school at the moment.

I go to college well out of state, so I use the summer months to bum around and deal with a few different hobbies and jack of all trade type jobs that pop up to fuel my spending, etc.

I had been into coins as a little kid and then was out of the hobby until this summer when a close friend started getting all hot and heavy for silver as a hedge against inflation, etc. and sparked my interest in it... which quickly turned to CRH as well.

I hear you about living it up while at college, and I do my best, though I've been thrown quite a few curveballs from up on high in the college administration to piss me off and distract me enough from both grades and the huh... extracurriculars. Working on making this year different but even before it starts it is already looking worse than either previous year. I am a VERY unlucky person when it comes to school it seems.

~Dave

Don't go to grad school unless it is necessary to have the career you want. Unfortunately, I feel our society places too high an importance on college in general. I know alot of people who are working barely above minimum wage jobs who have a four year college degree. Why get in debt to make so little I often wonder?

My advice is if possible, start your own business doing whatever it is you are good at and like. Sometimes this is not an easy thing to do. But if you are young and have no dependants to take care if, it is the perfect time.
I learned later in life how great it is to be your own boss and not a slave. I have actually been working on a book that focuses on starting and running your own business with an emphasis on the legal aspects, but I don't know if I will ever get it complete.

Don't let the BS bureaucratic administration stuff get you down. It is kind of like the crap you dealt with at high school from the mean teachers and principals, etc. They have their little domain of power and can mess with you all they want while you are there, but once you are out of their fiefdom you see how little importance and power they really have in your life. Just jump thru their little hoops now and do what is necessary to excel and in a few years you won't even remember their names.

I love running my own business now and would not trade if for anything....except maybe being a photographer for Playboy magazine or lottery winner. LOL!!

Jim

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
Don't go to grad school unless it is necessary to have the career you want. Unfortunately, I feel our society places too high an importance on college in general. I know alot of people who are working barely above minimum wage jobs who have a four year college degree. Why get in debt to make so little I often wonder?

My advice is if possible, start your own business doing whatever it is you are good at and like. Sometimes this is not an easy thing to do. But if you are young and have no dependants to take care if, it is the perfect time.
I learned later in life how great it is to be your own boss and not a slave. I have actually been working on a book that focuses on starting and running your own business with an emphasis on the legal aspects, but I don't know if I will ever get it complete.

Don't let the BS bureaucratic administration stuff get you down. It is kind of like the crap you dealt with at high school from the mean teachers and principals, etc. They have their little domain of power and can mess with you all they want while you are there, but once you are out of their fiefdom you see how little importance and power they really have in your life. Just jump thru their little hoops now and do what is necessary to excel and in a few years you won't even remember their names.

I love running my own business now and would not trade if for anything....except maybe being a photographer for Playboy magazine or lottery winner. LOL!!

Jim

Don't go to grad school??? I have a different opinion...A 4-year degree is useless for many degrees as they are so common now so the only way to differentiate yourself is with a grad degree. That being said there are also many degrees that even if you get one, there are too few jobs for the number of people that are looking for jobs which puts some downward pressure on the pay scale. At the same time, if a college degree is even necessary completely depends on the individual...for some yes and for others no. It just depends on the area of interest. For example, you would never hire a lawyer or a doctor who never went to school (not sure that you even could). Granted those are more than a 4 year degree, but my point is look at the big picture of what you want out of life, what your interests are, and where the need is in the business marketplace when decided what is right for you.

With all that...At the end of the day, if you can find something you are passionate about and enjoy doing, you will almost always excel at it college degree or not. However, if it is an area in which a college degree is needed/beneficial, getting one (or an advanced degree) will only open more doors for you. And yes it can and does increase your pay...sometimes substantially. The only exception in my mind is sometimes a PhD closes doors for you over a masters in certain areas as it can make you look too specialized in one little niche. So be wary of a PhD. I have a Masters and have no interest in a PhD (if I have an idea that I want to pursue for a few years I will, as Jim stated, just start my own business with it. No sense in giving all the rights to the University.) And also though going back to school for the extra-curriculars would be fun... not sure that it would be worth the homework baggage.

Hope all that made sense.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
GMan00001 said:
jim4silver said:
Don't go to grad school??? I have a different opinion...

GMan,

My point was not to go into debt with either undergrad or grad school unless that degree is necessary for the career you seek. Many people go to grad school because they don't know what they want to do after college, and would rather avoid "the real world" for awhile so they go to grad school. I know people with Master's degrees who are out of work and also some who work at jobs a person with a 2 year associate degree could get. Some master's degrees like history, poli sci, etc, are pretty worthless in the real world unless you want to be a teacher/professor.

The cost of school is astronomical these days, and there is no reason to go into debt for 10-20 years paying all that money back unless it is necessary. If you have a rich relative footing the bill, then go for it. I know of people who answer phones at their place of employment and they have 4 year degrees. Not that there is anything wrong with being a receptionist, but I don't see where a 4 year degree is necessary for that.

Also, careers like law and medicine that you mention require grad school degrees in order to get a state license.

Jim

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:

~Dave

Thanks Dave...:thumbsup:........I'll have to check out your area while you are away...what about your CRH buddy?
Is he going away, too? Good luck at school and study really hard.. :P

Joe

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
GMan,

My point was not to go into debt with either undergrad or grad school unless that degree is necessary for the career you seek. Many people go to grad school because they don't know what they want to do after college, and would rather avoid "the real world" for awhile so they go to grad school. I know people with Master's degrees who are out of work and also some who work at jobs a person with a 2 year associate degree could get. Some master's degrees like history, poli sci, etc, are pretty worthless in the real world unless you want to be a teacher/professor.

The cost of school is astronomical these days, and there is no reason to go into debt for 10-20 years paying all that money back unless it is necessary. If you have a rich relative footing the bill, then go for it. I know of people who answer phones at their place of employment and they have 4 year degrees. Not that there is anything wrong with being a receptionist, but I don't see where a 4 year degree is necessary for that.

Also, careers like law and medicine that you mention require grad school degrees in order to get a state license.

Jim

I guess I read your original post as having a different meaning. I think we are pretty close to "violent agreement" based on your latest comments. And yes I was aware that law and medicine require grad school.

Too many people fall into the trap of getting a degree in something just to have a degree, but don't really have a true interest in their field of choice and because of that don't necessarily pursue a job in that field after college. And yes I agree, there are many degrees with no real jobs afterward except as teachers...which is sad. Even having some of them as degrees is almost sad as it allows/encourages people to make bad choices. Though I am not sure that poli sci is one of them as politics is big business these days (can't say I completely understand what they do, but I am pretty sure there is jobs available after school). Now history, art history, philosophy, and a bunch of other majors... I won't say there is no value in them, but the chance of a good paying job afterward may not be so great. Then again, not everybody goes to school to get a good paying job afterward, some do it because its something they love in which case more power to them and hope everything turns out for the best. I personally knew what I wanted to do before I started school so it made my decisions really easy, but not everyone has that luxury.

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Thanks Jim and Gman for the advice, I appreciate it.

Sadly I think I am in the category of trying to escape the real world a bit longer. Then again... my parents had planned on my going to college for so long that they had a bit of money set aside in like a "college only" account... so if I didn't end up going, that would have been tens of thousands down the pooper until like my 3 year old niece was old enough to go to college and use it... it has to stay in the family and can ONLY be used towards college in order to get the rates and stuff that the account got.

I won't make that mistake again for grad school though. I just wasn't ready for a "real" job, nor did I have my focus down... getting there now though and by the time I graduate in two years I should be ready to go.

The whole starting your own business thing is actually something I will be looking into in the future, as I would love to be my own boss.

I wish you luck with your book Jim. I know what it is like to find the time to keep with such a large project, as well as keeping the writing juices flowing... they tend to like to run dry every so often and it is hard to get them going again!

And Joe... you might be in even more luck. My buddy, if not completely stopping CRH, will be slowing down A LOT, so that is all the more fresh stuff out there for you to find. Good luck!

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread