What's new

Last years points

Tuffke

Greenie
Joined
Feb 26, 2012
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are all from 3-4 hunts last year aside from the skinny bird point. Are these all woodland era? Longest one is around 2" for reference.
fb8d5d23.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Cool finds! 2cd one down on left is modern right?
 
"That red one just doesn't look right."
 
old digger said:
"That red one just doesn't look right."

Agreed. It isn't flint, not sure what it is. I am sure I pulled it out of the same field as the others though.. I know very little about the points and am trying to learn more. It reminds of pottery consistency but obviously isnt. Any idea?
 
What I am trying to say is that the point has not been retouched. There is no flaking on the cutting edge, and no lateral flaking. Odd!
 
old digger said:
What I am trying to say is that the point has not been retouched. There is no flaking on the cutting edge, and no lateral flaking. Odd!

Meaning it was only partly finished? Like they shaped it but did not put the finish edge on it?
 
Can you post a photo of the other side and also a side view?
 
old digger said:
Can you post a photo of the other side and also a side view?
Bottom is almost slick. Definitely a "different" point..
490a466a.jpg

d224578a.jpg
 
I'm sorry it just doesn't look right.
 
old digger said:
I'm sorry it just doesn't look right.
Who knows. If you mean looks like a fake, I don't know enough about em to argue with you.. I do know that I found it in a plowed creek bottom that is off the beaten path..

What about the 2nd from the bottom in the right column? Have been told a Dalton-Hemphill maybe?
 
The point 2nd from the bottom, in the right column has winged side notches similar to a oxbow point. But I'm not sure of what area the point was found. Woodland and eastern points have different classifications. Maybe someone in your area can help you?
 
The red one is modern. It's one of the mass produced ones. Some other looker may have dropped it for a joke, or someone may have used it to "salt" the area, who knows. From the style (no real type, no authentic flaking either) to the material, to the lack of patina, there is no doubt. Stuff winds up in weird places. The others all look authentic (one other looks like it could be modern too, but I might not have suspected it if the red one wasn't so blatant. One modern in the bunch puts the rest in question).
 
:icon_scratch: I am truy mystified how there could be a modern in that field?? But as you said, who knows.. Makes me not want to even go look for anything else there. Not sure what to think about this
 
Did the other ones come from there? If so, keep hunting. If not, I'd say someone salted the spot to keep hunters away from the real spots. It's a common practice from what I've heard. I haven't seen it in my area yet. Who knows how else it could have gotten there. I've found marbles in creek beds out in the woods, bottles, and other modern stuff. Some of it washes down from somewhere when the waters get high I guess. If you ever get into Cherokee reservation in North Carolina, you will see thousands of these in the $1.00 boxes at gift shops. They're bound to end up in the dirt again here and there.
 
Tuff!! first please put your state name on your profile so we can better ID your points. different state maybe different name same point in last photo your artifact looks like it is groved around large end instead of notched is it. if this is so, Digger!! the red one does not look right becouse it is not a projectile point but maybe a plumet. very good artifacts i realy like the red one and the bottom right one they would go good in there section of my collection. Terry
 
Yes they are all from the same two bottom fields right next to each other. The point in my 3-3 post are from the same creek but about 5 miles away.

Southern Missouri
 
red 'one' looks like the fakes that are sold at tourist traps, a flake thats been shaped to look like the real deal. I have seen fields 'salted' with these, fields that are hunted by rivals playing games and trying to discourage other hunters.
The others certainly appear to be authentic.
 
thank you for the state name. now i can try to id yes second one up on right side could be a dalton hemphill. i do not travel a lot but all tourest point boxes i have seen look a lot more like a flaked piece.
 
tmodel said:
thank you for the state name. now i can try to id yes second one up on right side could be a dalton hemphill. i do not travel a lot but all tourest point boxes i have seen look a lot more like a flaked piece.

Seems to me if it was made for tourists they could have done a lot better job making it look like the majority of points (tiny flaking)... It definitely sticks our from the others..
 
Yeah, but then they couldn't sell 'em for a buck apiece. I believe they are imported, and are just chipped into the basic shape and no more. I have seen some made for tourists that look really nice, some of them being pieces of art, but then they aren't in the buck apiece buckets. I see that material a lot in the tourist boxes, but never in authentic points.

Here's an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-ARROWHEA...ultDomain_0&hash=item4836bb509c#ht_4023wt_952

Another:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-lot-100...ultDomain_0&hash=item3372508601#ht_1652wt_952

These are a little better shaped with corner notches, but I would show you the ones I got in Cherokee North Carolina when I was a kid if I hadn't thrown them away. They were like the one you showed.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom