What's new

Late 19c hydrographic map collection

elthesalmon

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2026
Messages
24
Reaction score
37
Golden Thread
0
One of my cartography collections this's an interesting antique working hydrographic map/chart of English Channel. Printed on very large paper in late 19c. See section picture below there're pencil marks hand-written by its former owner(s). Not cargo shipping plan or route, private sounding recorrection surveys possibly not confirmed.


image-1.webp
 
Checked other sections today. Here's update.
It's charted in large scale of the channel you could view hachures hills on the isle of wight. As a marine map the producers of it focused on water areas(obviously:)) leaving clusters of shadowed inland terrains, although systematic hachuring method begun dating back to late 18c, not widely used in later 50-100yrs by cartigraphers and plate engravers. thus "terrain shadows" were profiles, artistry rather than practicality at that time.
See picture.
image-2.webp

If anyone would assist in analysis for those hand-written marks it's appreciated and pleased. I found at least 30+ marks at other sections. no signature about the users, no names left so far I couldn't recognize that historic events. Almost of surveys at that time documented officially, especially the UKHO. Only a few of private manuscripts survived.
 
Infamous "ship's graveyard" in history. See"Mounta Mopus" with clear topo-lines. Water there is much shallow, which was not very clear but with significant note in 19c. you're uneasy chasing for it on geogle map.
 

Attachments

  • image-3.webp
    image-3.webp
    298.8 KB · Views: 47
Infamous "ship's graveyard" in history. See"Mounta Mopus" with clear topo-lines. Water there is much shallow, which was not very clear but with significant note in 19c. you're uneasy chasing for it on geogle map.
another image failed to upload well it's a modern comparison
 
Awesome map....I'd have that framed and on the wall! :occasion14:
 
Awesome map....I'd have that framed and on the wall! :occasion14:
Yeah it is, I'm glad you like this! I'll tried to find a frame, purchase or diy cuz it's a bit too massive sized in more then 82*40 inches. I'm studying the hand-written marks. honestly I've found several odd marks with my friend so far we couldn't recognize what they actually mean.
and that's literally a meaningful citing. real treasure always lies in journey, effort to what we treasured, letting the fortune rewards.:occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom