What's new

LATEST DIGS: 1853 Seated Quarter, Bullets (Merrills, Sharps, Minies) and More!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
4,741
Reaction score
295
Golden Thread
13
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
13
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Hey Guys....Well this was my last trip out and I got some keepers! Including a couple handfulls of Bullets and a Nice 1853 Seated Quarter. In addition I got a nice

brass tag with the word "Erie" on it. I dug this up in the Civil War campsite where the rest of this stuff come from. It could be related to the G.A.R. i.e. a delegation tag of some

sort...I've seen State Delegation Tags and have also seen city/regional variations as well. This being said, it could just as easily be related to something else as well.

I Also added some more photos of myself, Rob aka RTDE 3 and James Bibb to the post. James I'm deeply sorry and upset about your loss buddy. Here's the photos without further

adieu: Thanks for looking my friends :occasion14:


Fresh from the Pouch:


MD Pics 1866ed.webp



1853 Seated Quarter *Uncleaned*
1853 Seated Quarter Uncleaneded.webp



1853 Seated Quarter *Cleaned* (Left some patina on the face as well as the Reverse with original patina)

MD Pics 1855ed2.webp

Reverse:
MD Pics 1851ed.webp



Pretty designed Thimble
MD Pics 1879ed.webp



Group Shots: Bullets include: Miinies, Musketballs, Sharps, and Merrills as well as other stuff you find associated with Campsites ( i.e. Watch Keys, Flower Kepi Buttons (A Pair), etc.)

MD Pics 1887ed.webp


MD Pics 1883ed.webp


Sentinel, RTDE3, and James Bibb diggin' it up at the Beach last weekend!


Beach Hunt 2011 (1).webp

Beach Hunt 2011 (8)ed.webp

Beach Hunt 2011 (9)ed.webp

Beach Hunt 2011 (2)ed.webp

Beach Hunt 2011 (4)ed.webp
 

Attachments

  • MD Pics 1866ed.webp
    MD Pics 1866ed.webp
    93.7 KB · Views: 891
  • 1853 Seated Quarter Uncleaneded.webp
    1853 Seated Quarter Uncleaneded.webp
    136.7 KB · Views: 887
  • MD Pics 1855ed2.webp
    MD Pics 1855ed2.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 856
  • MD Pics 1851ed.webp
    MD Pics 1851ed.webp
    55.6 KB · Views: 836
  • MD Pics 1879ed.webp
    MD Pics 1879ed.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 849
  • MD Pics 1887ed.webp
    MD Pics 1887ed.webp
    61.4 KB · Views: 885
  • MD Pics 1883ed.webp
    MD Pics 1883ed.webp
    69.3 KB · Views: 843
  • Beach Hunt 2011 (1).webp
    Beach Hunt 2011 (1).webp
    41.6 KB · Views: 843
  • Beach Hunt 2011 (8)ed.webp
    Beach Hunt 2011 (8)ed.webp
    49.7 KB · Views: 849
  • Beach Hunt 2011 (9)ed.webp
    Beach Hunt 2011 (9)ed.webp
    44.3 KB · Views: 829
  • Beach Hunt 2011 (2)ed.webp
    Beach Hunt 2011 (2)ed.webp
    28.4 KB · Views: 835
  • Beach Hunt 2011 (4)ed.webp
    Beach Hunt 2011 (4)ed.webp
    38 KB · Views: 836
Upvote 0
Arrows and Rays 1853 Seated , a personal favorite of mine Great Hunt , with Great friends ..... go easy on Rob , his legs are underwater most of the time , even the sharks and snappers swim away from that white meat ::) :laughing7: dawg
 
Re: LATEST DIGS: 1853 Seated Quarter, Bullets, and More!

{Sentinel} said:
BobinSouthVA said:
Cool finds Sentinel. That quarter is a beauty.

Headed down to VA beach tomorrow to detect while the kids are in surf camp. Hope you guys left some bling for me :laughing9:

:laughing9: :laughing9: Yeah I think there's plenty to go round down there. What part of the Strip are you going to?

Their surf lessons are on 4th street so I'll probably be swinging between there and up to 10th street or so.
 
Hunting on the beach there's nothing quite like it eh! :laughing7:
I have to agree with (cntrydncr1) Deb, the thimble is one of my favourites! :icon_thumright:
That 1853 Seated Quarter is a real beauty Josh! :notworthy:

Have fun in Hawaii this week too buddy,
Dave

PS. I hope you're taking your detector along! :icon_scratch:
 
Another good bunch of finds Josh. :thumbsup: And great post. :headbang: Can't tell in your shot of the piece your calling a Game piece.But will add that they made what I call a brad that looks very much like what I see of yours.I've found quite a few of them & even have a couple like the one I'll post that was still through the copper/brass pieces that they were attached to.I'm thinking mabe from copper pots/kettles as it's attached to thin sheet copper.Does yours look like this?
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0044.webp
    IMG_0044.webp
    45 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_0045.webp
    IMG_0045.webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_0046.webp
    IMG_0046.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 483
Steve in PA said:
Nice assortment of relics and coins Josh :thumbsup:

Is it me, or do you seem to find more than your fair share of silver Washington quarters on your CW and colonial sites :laughing7:

That's hilarious you say that b/c someone else said that too not too long ago...i think it was James while diggin with me down here I popped one out with him and he said the same thing you did " Man you pop a TON of Washington Quarters!" :laughing7: but ALOT of my colonial/CW sites are in the depths of the city, and that's why I pop alot of Silver Wash's.
 
Timekiller said:
Another good bunch of finds Josh. :thumbsup: And great post. :headbang: Can't tell in your shot of the piece your calling a Game piece.But will add that they made what I call a brad that looks very much like what I see of yours.I've found quite a few of them & even have a couple like the one I'll post that was still through the copper/brass pieces that they were attached to.I'm thinking mabe from copper pots/kettles as it's attached to thin sheet copper.Does yours look like this?
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Thanks Pete my friend :icon_thumleft: :occasion14:The game piece(s) are actually quite different, very lightweight, and have a hollow conical cavity rather than a flat base like the brads.
 
Whatta Crew! Great Pix :wink:
Byootiful 'Quart Dollar', nothing like the Eagle with rays :o
Great assortment of Lead, seems odd you are finding these on the beach,
Guess not, I find them in the mud...
In your first group shot, third slug from left, this looks like my most common slug find,
mine are about .58, all but one have hollow bases, one is solid.
can you give me an ID on these?
Love that curtainweight :laughing9:
Great Post! Enjoy the weather!! :thumbsup:
 
nice hunt! still waiting to dig a coin with rays. willy
 
steelheadwill said:
Whatta Crew! Great Pix :wink:
Byootiful 'Quart Dollar', nothing like the Eagle with rays :o
Great assortment of Lead, seems odd you are finding these on the beach,
Guess not, I find them in the mud...
In your first group shot, third slug from left, this looks like my most common slug find,
mine are about .58, all but one have hollow bases, one is solid.
can you give me an ID on these?
Love that curtainweight :laughing9:
Great Post! Enjoy the weather!! :thumbsup:

Heey SHW, the beach photos are actually from a different day last weekend and Rob posted the Beach finds on his post last Sunday. These finds were made at a Pickket Post/CW campsite property! :icon_thumleft: :wink:
 
Man at the loot! Wish I detected back when I was stationed there many moons ago. I bought an old DMZ1 Nautilus from the paper used it once and put it in the closet till I sold it a few years back. I should have learned the machine and used it more but I had other things on my mind back in them days..
 
{Sentinel} said:
Timekiller said:
Another good bunch of finds Josh. :thumbsup: And great post. :headbang: Can't tell in your shot of the piece your calling a Game piece.But will add that they made what I call a brad that looks very much like what I see of yours.I've found quite a few of them & even have a couple like the one I'll post that was still through the copper/brass pieces that they were attached to.I'm thinking mabe from copper pots/kettles as it's attached to thin sheet copper.Does yours look like this?
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Thanks Pete my friend :icon_thumleft: :occasion14: The game piece(s) are actually quite different, very lightweight, and have a hollow conical cavity rather than a flat base like the brads.
Thanks Josh,
Yea don't find them here at least not yet.I couldn't tell very well from the picks/only that it reminded me of them.Thanks for getting back & describing them as I'll no what to look for. :thumbsup:
Take Care,
try to enjoy yourself on your trip. :icon_sunny:
Pete, :hello:
One last thought on your piece from your decription.As you can see these collar studs would be covered by a thin front part if got missing sounds alot like what you are speaking of.
http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/collarsmen.htm
 
That's a beautiful pile of relics!
 
More great digs Josh. Hoping to get a seated quarter myself one of these years. You always seem to sniff out the good stuff.
 
You're becoming a legend Sentinel. Way to go - keep it up. I hope to get you over to the Valley for a hunt soon.
 
Woop @ all those sexy legs! :D I bet ya'll had all the girlies attention that day. 8) OH...and super finds too, Senti. :icon_pirat:

Nanners~ :icon_sunny:
 
Nice recoveries Josh, still looking for a seated quarter myself.
 
I just now saw your post. Great finds Josh. That is another fine collection of finds. Boy I can't wait to get back to the fields again. Did y'all have any luck at the beach?
 
Great finds again Sentinel!!!!!
 
Thats a very nice quarter dollar :headbang . I would love to try my hand at some CW lead and relics sometime too ! Very nice ! :icon_sunny: MaineRelic
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom