Gary in Pennsylvania
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Feb 23, 2009
- Messages
- 364
- Reaction score
- 8
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Moscow-ish, Pa
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
- #1
Thread Owner
Law regarding "Show me where you found it!"
OK....I don't even have my MD yet, but I've been thinking about a 'What if...' scenario.
So suppose an MD'ers dream comes true and a high value cache is found.
Valuable enough that any attempt at appraising it or just sharing the news will attract a lot of attention.
Under what circumstances would the MD'er HAVE to reveal where the cache was found?
I'd imagine that saaaayyyyy a cache of 100 $5 gold coins is discovered. One proper step may be to take out 'notices' in all the area newspapers stating that a large sum of money has been unearthed in 'whatever' county. Anyone wanting to claim, reply with detail to XXXXX.
Let that run for 30 days (or whatever is req'd by law)...and if no one comes forward with CORRECT information (there will be a bunch of yahoo's responding)....it's yours. Is that how it works? I know that is how it works for sums of money just found on the street (ex....paper bag with $2,000 in twenty dollar bills). Report to police, post notice in paper for required amount of time. No takers? It's yours!
Do not take dig permission into account for two reasons....1.) Permission is an understood given and, 2.) the whole point of my scenario is NOT wanting to reveal where cache so-and-so was dug up.
What are your thoughts



-
OK....I don't even have my MD yet, but I've been thinking about a 'What if...' scenario.
So suppose an MD'ers dream comes true and a high value cache is found.
Valuable enough that any attempt at appraising it or just sharing the news will attract a lot of attention.
Under what circumstances would the MD'er HAVE to reveal where the cache was found?
I'd imagine that saaaayyyyy a cache of 100 $5 gold coins is discovered. One proper step may be to take out 'notices' in all the area newspapers stating that a large sum of money has been unearthed in 'whatever' county. Anyone wanting to claim, reply with detail to XXXXX.
Let that run for 30 days (or whatever is req'd by law)...and if no one comes forward with CORRECT information (there will be a bunch of yahoo's responding)....it's yours. Is that how it works? I know that is how it works for sums of money just found on the street (ex....paper bag with $2,000 in twenty dollar bills). Report to police, post notice in paper for required amount of time. No takers? It's yours!
Do not take dig permission into account for two reasons....1.) Permission is an understood given and, 2.) the whole point of my scenario is NOT wanting to reveal where cache so-and-so was dug up.
What are your thoughts




-
........loosers
?
But realistically, the way I understand it, over there, you're free to hunt and if you find something of value, the gov't first determines if they want it for their "collections", if they do, they keep it and compensate you for it. If they don't, it's yours. Period, end of song. Over here, it's so danged convoluted that you can't predict where things will end up at all, and you can bet someone besides you will profit from your finds.






