Lead Ball - smaller than a musket ball?

grafer

Mar 2, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this small lead ball in this mornings hunt. I believe it's smaller than a musket ball (I am by no means an expert on these type of relics.. if that's what it is). It's about 10mm round and weighs about 10 grams. Is it old? And any ideas about what type of lead ball it is, or used for? Any help appreciated ..

70608LeadBall.jpg

Thanks..

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Your ball looks like approx 12 or 13 mm.  Thats a normal size for a musket ball... 12.7mm is .50 cal.

If it's a little over 11 mm then BigCy is correct. (below)

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:D I tried to add my picture and decided to start over. Here is a pic of a .45 caliber roundball that I use for my primitive hunts. I have killed many wild pigs in these Florida swamps with this small accurate patch and ball caliber used in my long barrelled Mountain Rifle. Its also possible that yours could have come from a pistol. Try using a micrometer. A .45 pistol revolver caliber is about .445 because they dont use a patch. There are also smaller calibers.

Attachments

• MVC-004E.JPG
    MVC-004E.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 5,210
Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Musket balls are generally .69 caliber or larger. Rifle balls or pistol balls came in almost every size imagineable, whatever the gunsmith made the barrel. Todays muzzleloaders are much more standardized than those of the 19th century and earlier. Judging by the patina yours is an old one.

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
l.cutler said:
Musket balls are generally .69 caliber or larger. Rifle balls or pistol balls came in almost every size imagineable, whatever the gunsmith made the barrel. Todays muzzleloaders are much more standardized than those of the 19th century and earlier. Judging by the patina yours is an old one.
I agree.....69 ruled out,even the "buck" from a "buck and ball".....the buck's are around 7.9mm.They did make a round ball in the CW time's that were .40 which is 10mm and was considered a .44,again with the patina this could be what you have.....just a guess.Cool find!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread