Lead bars...

subgeo

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2006
I am trying to figure out what some lead bars were used for. The bars are aproximately 9 inches long, 3/4 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. They have markings on them that read: SC CORNELL N YORK. Near the end of the bar is a 1/4 inch hole next to the K in York. This item was found at an 1800's era shipwreck dive site. What would these be used for and what do the markings mean?

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
What about melting down to make a round ball of conical bullet for a black powder rifle or pistol?
A lead bar that small could only have so many uses.
Mike

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
They used lead like that as 'issued' lead during the civil war. Soldiers would snip off enough to make a bullet and toss it when there wasn't enough left to make anymore.

Upvote 0

Rogerm069

Jun 5, 2006
New Albany, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher, White, Garrett
Just a thought, But not seeing a pic plus not knowing the area I was thinking they could be window weights, they would tie a cord on one end and place it in the window casing and hook the other end to the window with pulleys, so when you lifted the window it made it lighter and easy to lift.

Upvote 0

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Just another idea as to what these might be, it is possible they could be bars of lead used for printing presses - many presses in the old days mixed their own metal to cast as type, usually a mixture of lead, antimony and sometimes tin. I don't know the size of the lead bars they used for making "linotype" but it is possible this is what you have found.
Oroblanco

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread