Found in a church yard today along with the 1901 Barber for scale. Church is from the 1870's and have found a lot of leather rivets and OLD coins...Thanks in advance for ID!
on this website http://www.tomstreasures.com/find.html
Rob Langdon Says: The item you have listed is a Texas-style saddle skirt ornament, and probably dates to the Civil War. They were also occasionally seen as saddle blanket ornaments as well.
It's funny how I found that...I went to Google images and copy and pasted "saddle blanket ornament" and this picture popped up...
Sorry it's taken me a while to reply back. As I recall, one was in the "Ask Mark Parker" section of Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine a while back, and the price he quoted was several hundred dollars. You can look at old issues free online, and you may be able to find them. I think the title of the little blurb about the find had the word "Star" in it.